The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Fiver By Committee
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:11 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "Brevity is the soul of wit"? I really think the shorter punchline is effective, but that may just be me.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-27-2003, 03:21 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, yes, but "like" is, like, one of the most overused words in the English language, because people like to use it a lot. "Like"'s meaning has been watered down by so much use, it has a very, very weak connotation. It's like it's hardly there at times.

It may seem like I don't like the word, but that's not the case. I just don't think that "like" can carry that sentence on its own. The word "I" pretty much has to be in there (that's another overused phrase, "pretty much"), and something about anagrams has to be in there. And there should be a combination of added words and arrangement such that the result is funny in a subtle way. (Or should that be, like, "subtle in a funny way"? Probably.) To me, the mere use of "like" doesn't convey that effect. But maybe that's just me.

(Edit) Or maybe the use of a transition at the start of the next sentence would work well. "By the way, I hope..." or something like that.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, yes, but "like" is, like, one of the most overused words in the English language, because people like to use it a lot. "Like"'s meaning has been watered down by so much use, it has a very, very weak connotation. It's like it's hardly there at times.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's a fiver, not Charles Dickens', [iost_uid0]A Tale of Two Matrices[/iost_uid0]

(I just got done reading [iost_uid0]A Tale of Two Cities,[/iost_uid0] so I've developed a contempt for verbosity - but, look who's talking )

At any rate - the joke is effective for the very reson it dosen't appeal to you. The word is so used that it flows naturally off the tongue. The joke is natural, not contrived.

Of course, this is just an opinion - but I'm trying to be persuasive as well.

So, a vote for Kira's from me.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:16 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I think "I like anagrams" is way more subtle than the other way.[/quoteost_uid0]

It is, of course. I just don't see "subtle" as having any great advantage over "ridiculous."

[quoteost_uid0]I think something more elaborate is needed, even if it's just the addition of one word.[/quoteost_uid0]

Not that I'm changing my vote or anything, but you could try:

[quoteost_uid0]Neo: Why are you so sure I'm the One?
Morpheus: Because anagrams are cool. [/quoteost_uid0]

See? I even cut the "I" out...[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 05-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Saxamaphone"]At any rate - the joke is effective for the very reson it dosen't appeal to you. The word is so used that it flows naturally off the tongue. The joke is natural, not contrived.[/quoteost_uid0]
Yes, thank you. The "I like anagrams" is intended to fly under the radar, as opposed to acting like a large sledgehammer.

How about this?

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] ...and after the first One left, the Oracle predicted there'd be another One. That's you, Neo.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] So what makes you think I'm the Two?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] No, no, no. Not the Two -- the One.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Whatever. What makes you think I'm the One?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I like anagrams.

Alternatively, since Derek pointed out that this scene was very short in the film:

[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] What makes you think I'm the One?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I like anagrams.

We could always use the Two joke later. I'm actually inclined to lean towards the shorter version.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kira's version is fine, I suppose. It just doesn't really strike me as being all that silly. But then, I've been reading all these different versions of the scene, so it may just be a cumulative effect thingy. (Actually, I'm trying to picture it in its final context, and I think it would be amusing. I guess it *is* the context, then.) Standback's attempt looks good to me, too. Either one.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-28-2003, 04:53 AM
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"]Kira's version is fine, I suppose. It just doesn't really strike me as being all that silly.[/quoteost_uid0]
Not that I'm trying to toot my own horn or anything here, but the point is to be funny, not just silly. (Silly can be funny, but funny is not necessarily silly. )[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2003, 05:47 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0](Silly can be funny, but funny is not necessarily silly. )[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Message from Nan's brain:

IOU : 1 coherent response in this thread, payable after at least 8 hours to digest Matrix Reloaded. No more brain hurtiness!

~Nan's Brain[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2003, 03:34 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, there are already some good suggestions, but I'm going to make my own anyway:

Morpheus: You [iost_uid0]are[/iost_uid0] The One.
Neo: Hah! You think your Jedi mind tricks will work on me?

Or perhaps this (refering to the discarded Cipher joke from a previous block):

Morpheus: Neo is The One.
Neo: What's with all these number references anyway?
Cipher: Don't ask me.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-28-2003, 03:52 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]How about this instead:

Morpheus: Neo is The One.
Cypher: Oh, nothing.

Or this:

Morpheus: ... and then the Oracle predicted the return of the One. That's you, Neo.
Neo: Why are you so sure I'm the One?
Morpheus: I like anagrams. By the way, I hope I didn't overload your brain with all this.
Neo: Don't worry, it happens all the time.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

Old 05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Morpheus: Neo is The One.
Cypher: Oh, nothing.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]This is hilarious. Unfortunately, since Cypher isn't in the scene, I don't think we should use this, but perhaps we can reuse this for some exchange where Cypher [iost_uid0]is[/iost_uid0] involved?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"Oh"... "Nothing"...

That's a good one, all right...

But I agree - it would probably be better elsewhere. When Cypher is doubting that Neo is the One or something.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Having skimmed this thread, I'll add my own version (though I've only read a couple of the others to see if my idea was taken...)

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I must apologize. Normally we don't free minds once they reach a certain age.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Then why'd you do it?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Because I believe you are [iost_uid0]The One[/iost_uid0]--
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Sweet!
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] --who will bring balance to the force.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] I have a bad feeling about this....[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-31-2003, 04:57 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Having skimmed this thread, I'll add my own version (though I've only read a couple of the others to see if my idea was taken...)
[/quoteost_uid0]

I touched on the Anakin theme briefly, but I think you did a better job of it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-06-2003, 03:45 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just to get this thread kick-started again...

I like IJD's version if this scene better than Kira's - I'm willing to go with it as the final version.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Transformed Man

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hmmm. This may be the time to call for some Zekeful arbitration. Next... block... next... block... ::Enters zombie trance, wanders off somewhere::[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]:joins Standback:

In the chanting, of course, not the zombie-like state. I watched the first movie again a couple of weeks back and I wanta help with the next block before the memory of it fades from my mind...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I'd agree - but I'm not sure we're all agreed upon the final version - Kira's, or ijdgaf's?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Saxamaphone"]Well, I'd agree - but I'm not sure we're all agreed upon the final version - Kira's, or ijdgaf's?[/quoteost_uid0]
I'd like to propose a merger to save some hassle. Â I really like the "Two" joke that I stole, but since the anagrams joke seems to be more popular, along with the SW ref....

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] ...and after the first One left, the Oracle predicted there'd be another One.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] What makes you think I'm the One?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I like anagrams. Â I am certain that you are the One --
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Sweet!
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] -- who will bring balance to the Force.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] I have a bad feeling about this....[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-10-2003, 03:07 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I like Kira's version. I suggest a transition of some sort at the start of the second sentence of Morpheus's second line. I think that line sounds slightly stilted as it stands. I agree that this post sounds much more stilted up to this point. A simple "Neo," would probably do the trick (and would also put "Neo" in the same sentence with "One", increasing the chances that the reader will spot the joke right away). But that's just a suggestion that need not be acted upon.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

Closed Thread