The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 04:45 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Here's the third Next Gen fiver in a mere two weeks: Marc Richard's treatment of the classic "I, Borg."[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-13-2004, 05:04 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Data: Sir, I am picking up an automated signal from the moon ahead of us.
Picard: What does it say?
Data: It is a single repeating word. I cannot decipher it, but it resembles the pseudo-Swedish dialect used by a certain culinary artist once featured on twentieth-century Earth television.[/quoteost_uid0]

Bork Bork Bork!

Hehehehehehe.

Mock-Swedish is funny.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-13-2004, 05:16 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Riker: True. I just have trouble imagining what a blonde Borg would look like.[/quoteost_uid0]
*snerk*

[quoteost_uid0]La Forge: Hugh reminds me of a teddy bear I used to have. He's just a big softie at heart.

La Forge: I disguised it as an election-year campaign leaflet. It promises to cut taxes and balance the budget while eliminating the national debt and increasing public spending.[/quoteost_uid0]
Plus lots of other funny little bits.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-13-2004, 06:51 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Great fiver, I think this is one of my favourite NGs so far.

[quoteost_uid0]Riker: Doctor, we have to get out of here. The Borg always come back to collect their .
Crusher: But he's not ! He's just resting!
Worf: He looks to me.
Crusher: It's probably because he's pining for the Collective.[/quoteost_uid0]
heh, love Monty Python

[quoteost_uid0]Troi: Having a Borg on the ship could be stressful for you.
Picard: I can handle the situation perfectly well, thank you very much.
Troi: But your earlier assimilation may still be affecting you. Are you sure you wouldn't like to book a counseling session?
Picard: Insistence is futile. [/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Picard: Exactly. For a brief moment, they will discover how wonderful it is to be a free-thinking individual.
Riker: Good idea.
Data: I concur.
La Forge: So do I.
Troi: Me too.
Crusher: Count me in.
Worf: Agreed. [/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0](Hugh beams down to the planet at Conscientious Speed) [/quoteost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Riker: Good idea.
Data: I concur.
La Forge: So do I.
Troi: Me too.
Crusher: Count me in.
Worf: Agreed.[/quoteost_uid0]
Hilarious! Great fiver, Marc.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-13-2004, 01:50 PM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

[color=#000000ost_uid0]yeah, Marc, great fiver! I loved it...especially the BonC moments... [/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
The Nth Doctor

Send a message via AIM to SCMoll

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Very good!

[quoteost_uid0]Riker: True. I just have trouble imagining what a blonde Borg would look like.[/quoteost_uid0]
I especially liked the bits about the Borg virus:

[quoteost_uid0]La Forge: That depends on how good their security protocols are. Do you think they could be fooled into opening an unsolicited message attachment?
Picard: If we make the subject line enticing enough, yes.[/quoteost_uid0]
[quoteost_uid0]La Forge: In other words, think of it as a weapon of mass distraction.
Crusher: What you're proposing is immoral!
Picard: Doctor, we are at war with a ruthless enemy who means to end human life as we know it! We are justified in resorting to genocide in order to survive.
Crusher: Even if it means breaking the Federation's own anti-spamming laws?
Picard: As one of my illustrious predecessors would have put it, "whatever it takes, Trip."
Crusher: Don't call me Trip.[/quoteost_uid0]
[quoteost_uid0]Picard: It looks harmless enough. How does it work?
La Forge: I disguised it as an election-year campaign leaflet. It promises to cut taxes and balance the budget while eliminating the national debt and increasing public spending.[/quoteost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-13-2004, 11:08 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Woo! Borg, dead parrots and e-mail viruses - in other words a classic Marc fiver. Brilliant stuff![/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I concur. Brilliant stuff. We're all free thinkers too. Just like in the Life of Brian: "Yes, we are all individuals!"[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 PM

[quoteost_uid0="Scooter"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I concur. Brilliant stuff. We're all free thinkers too. Just like in the Life of Brian: "Yes, we are all individuals!"[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]ah that was pure brilliance.
"We're all different!"
"I'm not"

And so was this fiver.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Just like in the Life of Brian: "Yes, we are all individuals!" [/quoteost_uid0]

There was a similar joke in an old Hagar the Horrible cartoon in which he's sitting in a tavern drinking beer and muttering that the current state of civilization depresses him. He then pounds the table with his fist and declares that "The Vikings are the last independent men left on Earth!" All around him, dozens of other Vikings with beer mugs pound their tables with their fists and shout "Yeah! Yeah!" in agreement.

The reference to the Section 31 anti-Founder virus and to Voyager's "Child's Play" almost didn't make it into the fiver because I didn't notice the parallels with the paradox virus until I was halfway through the episode. Come to think of it, I completely forgot about Janeway's anti-Species 8472 bioweapon, or the anti-Borg virus in "Infinite Regress," or the anti-Borg virus at the end of "Endgame." (Sheesh, who would have guessed that Voyager would play so often with biowarfare in its storylines?)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-14-2004, 09:08 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000ost_uid0](Sheesh, who would have guessed that Voyager would play so often with biowarfare in its storylines?)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, since [iost_uid0]Voyager[/iost_uid0]'s premise involved biotechnology -- the new bioneural gelpacks -- it would have been a reasonable guess. Between this series, [iost_uid0]Farscape[/iost_uid0], [iost_uid0]Babylon 5[/iost_uid0], [iost_uid0]Andromeda[/iost_uid0], and [iost_uid0]Lexx[/iost_uid0], it's almost a relief nowadays to see a show whose main ship ISN'T somehow alive.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-16-2004, 12:50 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[quoteost_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Â (Sheesh, who would have guessed that Voyager would play so often with biowarfare in its storylines?)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]At least now we know who stole Iraq`s weapons of mass destruction. I personally thought it was Porthos.

[quoteost_uid0]La Forge: In other words, think of it as a weapon of mass distraction.
Crusher: What you're proposing is immoral!
Picard: Doctor, we are at war with a ruthless enemy who means to end human life as we know it! We are justified in resorting to genocide in order to survive.
Crusher: Even if it means breaking the Federation's own anti-spamming laws?
Picard: As one of my illustrious predecessors would have put it, "whatever it takes, Trip."
Crusher: Don't call me Trip.[/quoteost_uid0]

LOL! Brilliant stuff! Agreed! I concur!

Marc, you have outdone yourself. I thought the "Sins of the Father" fiver was insanely hilarious, but this one is even funnier![/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 02-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Quotes: Darn near everything

Great job, Marc! A grin from start to finish. :bigsmile:[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)