The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Default Opinions on the Top 10 Geek Axioms?

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/09...0-geek-axioms/

10. Being a Harry Potter fan is neither necessary nor sufficient to make you a geek, any more than seeing the movie Gettysburg is necessary or sufficient to make you a historian.
9. Batman is much cooler than Superman.
8. Caffeine and bacon make everything better (provided you’re not among those who don’t consume one or both for religious or medical reasons).
7. Lego makes the best toys in the world.
6. The MythBusters have the best jobs in the world, even if they do have to occasionally make things like the earwax candle, which was frankly one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen on TV.
5. ThinkGeek is the most dangerous website on the internet — to your wallet, that is. (Disclaimer: GeekDad and ThinkGeek collaborate on a lot of things. But I’d have included this even if we didn’t.)
4. Video games are art. The fact that some of them are the rough equivalent of “Dogs Playing Poker” or a velvet painting of Elvis does not change that.
3. Vampires do not sparkle.
2. Growing old is mandatory; growing up is not.
1. Han shot first. (This one was a no-brainer.)

Please comment.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

10: Concur. A single fandom doth not a geek make, although you can become a geek by being properly fanatical about it.
9: This seems to be the general opinion. I think it says as much about the audience as it does about the characters.
8: No. Bacon is for Breakfast (notice how both start with the same letter? That's a tip-off). Good bacon is yummy enough that it should be eaten by itself, whereas bad bacon is unworthy of being eaten at all. Caffeine likewise should remain in appropriate locations: coffee, sugar water, etc.
7. Hadn't really thought about it, but I doubt it. Admittedly I can't come up with any sound counter-examples at the moment.
6. Close enough.
5. I have no opinion.
4. Concur. Some of the best games skillfully combine graphic, audio, and participatory stimuli to produce an effect on the audience. That effect might be total immersion in a fictional world, the conveyance of a message, or just a sense of great enjoyment. That underlined part is about as close as I care to get to defining what "art" is.
3. Concur.
2. Concur.
1. Concur.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs