The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 06-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I don't think they've had [iost_uid0]enough[/iost_uid0] "transporter malfunction" episodes. The transporter is still leading-edge technology. It should have a few bugs still in the system, and the crew should have their doubts about using it.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, transporter psychosis. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ Unfortunately, according to "Realm of Fear" transporter psychosis won't be diagnosed for decades after ENTs run ends.

There are a lot of things about ENT I like or would like to see expounded on. I really like the ENT-era Vulcans. I'd like to see more stuff going on with them. I'd like to see more of Earth in general. I'd like to see the TCW expanded on more. I'd like to see more BotF storylines as well. I think ENT has a number of good threads that it needs to pick up on and grow with. I'm a little troubled by this whole "Delphic Expanse" thing because it leaves me with the feeling that everything up to now is just going to be dropped in favor of some wild goose chase. Oh well, I'll give it a chance.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]If you (lets call him you_1) send a message back to your past self (lets call him you_2), to prevent a disaster, you_1 shouldn't only send that message, but you_1 should also tell you_2 to send the exact same message back in time to you_3, even though you_2 already prevented the disaster. Then you_3 becomes you_2 and you_2 becomes you_1 and it starts all over, without a temporal paradox.[/quoteost_uid0]
Ah yes. The same thing is on [iost_uid0]Starfleet Command[/iost_uid0] when Picard tells himself how to defeat the Borg.

Has anybody ever seen 7 days? I have [bost_uid0]absolutely[/bost_uid0] no idea how they explain [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0]... :O[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Ah yes. The same thing is on Starfleet Command when Picard tells himself how to defeat the Borg. [/quoteost_uid0]

I don't know what you're talking about. Is this an episode?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-19-2003, 04:20 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Has anybody ever seen 7 days? I have absolutely no idea how they explain that... [/quoteost_uid0]

That was kinda strange. I mean, how did he avoid running into himself? And with all the jumping back, wouldn't that mean he'd get older a lot quicker compared to those around him? It just doesn't make any sense.

[quoteost_uid0]I don't know that novel. What was the explanation?
[/quoteost_uid0]

You know the theory that goes 'For every major event the timeline splits so that all the possible outcomes happen [iost_uid0]somewhere[/iost_uid0]'? It's what they used for [iost_uid0]Sliders[/iost_uid0] anyway. Well, in [iost_uid0]Timescape[/iost_uid0], the future scientists send this message back, and essentially force a split in the timeline because the message arriving [iost_uid0]was[/iost_uid0] the event. The timeline that the future scientists occupy continues as normal from their point of view, but a new timeline is created in which the ecological disaster doesn't happen because the message tells the past scientists how to prevent it. Basically speaking, they cause a new leg in the Trousers of Time to appear in the past whilst continuing down their own leg.

Does that make any sense?[/colorost_uid0]

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]If you try to change history because something went wrong, you can never succeed, because if you do, it wouldn't go wrong, [/quoteost_uid0]

Tell that to Archer...or Sam Beckett, rather.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I don't know what you're talking about. Is this an episode?[/quoteost_uid0]
No, it's a game.

[quoteost_uid0]That was kinda strange. I mean, how did he avoid running into himself?[/quoteost_uid0]
That, and somehow the others don't know he jumped, but they still have only one shuttle.
He does get older quicker, they explained that once, but he doesn't jump that often, so the difference is not that great.

[quoteost_uid0]Does that make any sense?[/quoteost_uid0]
Not only does it make sense, but I actually thought up that exact theory once. (I haven't read the book.) When I tried to explain it to my brother, however, he either didn't get it, or thought I was delirious. [/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 06-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes, I understand that theory. But it doesn't make any difference for those future scientists, does it? And if they don't even notice the difference, how do they know their message arrived? Or if sending messages back through time works at all, for that matter.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-19-2003, 05:27 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, the future scientists got the past scientists to leave a message in a bank vault if they recieved the messages. But you're right about them not knowing if it worked out eventually.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Can't avoid paradox if the traveller remains rooted in the timestream. I always favor the systems where the traveller is somehow disconnected from the new timestream - so if you kill you own grandfather, you yourself survive, even though in the new stream, you're never born.

Another neat system is that you can go back, except you can't make any changes to what you already know.

Meaning you can go back in time to when your grandfather was born, find his bassinet, and kill him... ON THE CONDITION that you then kidnap a similar looking baby, and put it in his place, because actually he was your grandfather all along...

A better example would be, you and your friend are walking along a corridor. Your friend, walking ahead, turns the corridor, then suddenly you hear a zap, see a flash of light, and then all is still.

Well, no problem. You go back in time, and teleport your friend to safety just as he turns the corner. The zap gun misses him entirely. Who are you to say that's not what happened the first time around?

Ah, what if you already turned the corner and saw his charred body? Well, even so, there's no reason to discard the possibility that this is only the charred remains of a [iost_uid0]clone[/iost_uid0], which your time-travelling self thoughtfully remembered to beam in as he got your friend out. So the only way for your friend to be absolutely, irrevocably dead, is if you scan him with your ReallyReallyDead-O-Tron, and see that it's really him, and he was really killed right now.

Unless, of course, you were to go back in time, pick up your scanner, and cause a minor malfunction...

I love time travel.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 06-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My brain hurts. Stop that.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]But what if you don't? What if, say, you kill your grandfather, and don't put another baby in his place. And you make sure no one else does either. What happens then?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-20-2003, 08:19 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, for starters you don't go on to write [iost_uid0]Red Dwarf[/iost_uid0].[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Meaning you can go back in time to when your grandfather was born, find his bassinet, and kill him... ON THE CONDITION that you then kidnap a similar looking baby, and put it in his place, because actually he was your grandfather all along...[/quoteost_uid0]

Sounds like a predestination paradox to me, which is, I think, impossible. That similar looking baby couldn't possibly have identical DNA, so if that baby was your grandfather all along, you would never have existed if you never travelled back in time to do all this.

[quoteost_uid0]But what if you don't? What if, say, you kill your grandfather, and don't put another baby in his place. And you make sure no one else does either. What happens then?[/quoteost_uid0]

Then, you killed your grandfather, which means you never existed, so you couldn't have traveled back in time to kill your grandfather, so you DO exist, so you do travel back in time to kill him, which completes the temporal paradox, which, according to doc Brown, will destroy the universe. Granted, that's a worst case scenario. The destruction could be limited to only our own solar system.

(Is it just me, or has this thread gone completely off topic? I'm not complaining, I like this kind of discussion.)[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Alright then, answer this: WHEN is the universe destroyed? Or is it that it never existed?
And what if only your own solar system is destroyed? Because, if someone from another solar system goes there, they find nothing right? But what if you already made first contact with another solar system? Then they already know you, which would mean, either you've suddenly disapeared, or history is changed, like with Dawn, or it causes a chain reaction. Like, we made first contact with the Vulcans, and some of us do something that would get our solar system to be destroyed by temporal paradox. Then the Vulcans would be destroyed too, just because they know we existed, which we didn't. The Vulcans know the Andorians, and a lot of other races. Since the Vulcans never existed, the Andorians never existed either, just like all those other races who know any Vulcans. Eventually, the whole universe would be destroyed anyway.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I haven't read the definitive text on the subject , but what you say sounds about right. In Back to the future, however, earth hasn't made any contact with aliens, so the destruction could only be limited to our solar system.

I don't think doc Brown thought of it this way though, because he regularly sais that a certain event would "create a major paradox". "major", that means bigger than the avarage paradox. And how can that be, if our theory is correct? Any temporal paradox on earth would cause this destruction in the same way, right?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Brain...go...dribbly.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]And by the way, I still have trouble understanding how a temporal paradox could destroy anything. It would simply be an endless loop. I don't think, though, that that loop could be limited to any area, because if earth's solar system would be in temporal paradox, what would happen if aliens visit earth [iost_uid0]after[/iost_uid0] the time-period that the paradox occured? No one knows what would happen 'after' the paradox, because there is no 'after'. The aliens would be frozen in that time-period too, without the oppertunity to ever visit earth.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I guess so, but I don't like doc's theory. It implies that if you [iost_uid0]could[/iost_uid0] ever travel through time, you still better not (and that's a major understatement) because if anything goes wrong, all of mankind would never have existed. It's pretty pessimistic.[/colorost_uid0]