The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]No real spoilers, except what's on StarTrek.com already. I've watched the episode preview and looked at this page.

I think this episode will look a lot like "Children of Time". Lets hope it will be mostly original though. It'd be a real shame if one of the four last episodes of the season turned out to be a dissapointment.

There's a photo there titled "Trip and T'Pol have to deal with some awkward new knowledge". Three guesses what that knowledge is. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]oh I know! I know! ::jumps up and down with one hand raised:: And I haven't been reading any spoilers I swear! I've been good. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Now that the episode has aired, here are my comments.

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE
I thought it was great. Enterprise has really hit its stride.

- The episode did have a "Children of Time" feel at the beginning, but fortunately, it didn't end the same way.
- I liked the way Lorian actually stole from Enterprise! It really did seem like some good turnabout to Archer's recent maneuver. And then the two ships fought, which made me realize that when you steal and fight with others, you're really just stealing and fighting with yourself.
- One thing I really appreciated was the way they never quite resolved what happened to the other Enterprise. Was it destroyed? Did it survive? Did it go through the corrider only to go back through time again? Did it disappear from reality? I'm inclined to go with the latter since that seems to be Braga's wont, but it's also his wont to clearly resolve what happens and so the other ship fading out, so I don't know what's going to happen.

Heh, and did anyone think First Contact when the past Enterprise decided they coudn't return to Earth since the warp flight hadn't happened yet? It sure would've been interesting if they [iost_uid0]had[/iost_uid0] returned for it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]They so could have gotten back to earth right after the warp flight had taken place, or like.. a few weeks before the destruction of Floriduh. But i'm not nitpicking. This ep was good. Not as good as the others past, but still good none the less. Very touching scene with T'pol and .. T'pol. Didn't make me cry like last time, but I definaly went "aww.." And the special effects were Awesome! Me and my friend were like.. "OMG that's so cool!" when the two enterprise's split. Very nice. This ep gets the Cele patented thumbs up for will watch this one again.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Derek"]- The episode did have a "Children of Time" feel at the beginning, but fortunately, it didn't end the same way.[/quoteost_uid0]
I thought it was pretty darn close, seeing as how the timeline was changed to eliminate the existence of the descendants. Sure, one could argue that they were destroyed, but I'm more inclined to buy the they-ceased-to-exist theory.

Aside from the Children of Time ripoff, I enjoyed the episode. (And hey, I loved Children of Time so even that isn't much of a downer.) Some particular highlights for me were Malcolm's reaction to finding out he died a bachelor, everything Old T'Pol/T'Pol/Trip/Lorien, and the fact that what comes around goes around for Archer and his stealing-because-I-had-no-choice strategy.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I thought it was pretty darn close, seeing as how the timeline was changed to eliminate the existence of the descendants. Sure, one could argue that they were destroyed, but I'm more inclined to buy the they-ceased-to-exist theory.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm sure the ultimate fate of the other Enterprise depends on whether or not someone comes up with a cool idea for a follow-up episode.

And you're right that it ended in a similar manner to CoT, but what I meant was that it didn't come down to a "should we go back in time to preserve that timeline?" or even anything similar. Lorian was in fact adamant that the ship [iost_uid0]not[/iost_uid0] go back through the corridor because of the mission.

And yeah, I wondered why past ENT didn't just fly to Earth in the days before the tragedy and warn everyone, but of course you have to let the writers have a little room.

For that matter, why didn't Daniels or Braxton suddenly show up and return the ship to its correct time? I guess you can argue that being in the future, they could detect the past changes and saw that things worked out better with the two ENTs teaming up instead of the other way.... or whatever.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Time travel episodes always seem to have a bit of a disappointment ending for me, because either nobody remembers what has actually happened, or there is a paradox. Or both. Despite of that, though, I [iost_uid0]love[/iost_uid0] most time travel episodes.

For some reason, I believe the Enterprise still went back in time, but it was split up into two Enterprises. As far as I can see that would be the only possibility. I know the writers probably didn't mean it that way, but let me have my delusions, ok?

I liked that they explained why the Xindi thought there were more Starfleet ships in the Expanse. And of course the conversations between the crew and their descendants. Did anybody else think Karyn Archer looked a bit like Hoshi? [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Insert canine joke here

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There was some really good quoteables too like Archer's "They don't seem to have the same problem!" and Degra's "You're early."[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]See? All good Enterprise plots come from DS9 [/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 05-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Insert canine joke here

[color=#000000ost_uid0]not true! The other one was from Equinox. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You mean the one where Archer stole that warp coil? I don't think that episode was remotely like Equinox. There's only one thing in common. The both have a captain who does something bad.

E2 is much more like Children of Time. It's the same idea. Granted, it was a great episode and they managed to make it original.

Go Enterprise! [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-11-2004, 06:30 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*sigh* as much as Entrprise is good Trek, it's just doesnt have the good, solid plots and drama that DS9, the non-Trek Trek, had...

Just a pet peeve of someone who does backstage work... why did they do such icky makeup on "Old T'Pol"? Why not get an older look-alike actress?[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003