The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 AM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
* The colony had 150 people, less than half of the Enterprise's crew. Why do the creators keep implying such small planetary populations? They don't have to cast all of them, would it hurt to say a thousand or ten thousand?
I kept rereading this one, and the only thing I can think of is the "Wagon Train to the Stars" thing. You would be hard pressed to find frontier towns in the Old West that were larger than 200 people.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 PM
You just activated his Trek card

March 9th, 1967, "The Devil in the Dark"

Fiver (by Wowbagger)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The episode:

* If the Horta has killed fifty people, and it's known that a person left alone with one phaser isn't enough, why are they still leaving single people alone with one phaser?
* Sure, the mineral deposits here are important to planets all over the Federation, but that doesnt' justify sending men to die on a daily basis when "let's evacuate the planet" is an option.
* Let's talk about the implausibility of Horta physiology here. Let's accept that a Horta excretes acid, dissolves the rock around it, then "licks up" the acid and dissolved metal for nourishment. Fair enough. Too bad the episode features precision burning that is blatantly impossible given this hypothesis. Are we to believe that Hortas have tentacles that they can extend for this kind of thing?
* Even if the Horta has a tentacle that doesn't excrete acid, how could it take the pump without crushing it? In its natural habitat it would only encounter and know how to handle rock, sand/gravel, and magma, none of which are anything like a pump.
* I never did like the scene where Spock says that it's extremely unlikely that both he and Kirk will be killed if they go together? How did he arrive at that conclusion? Even if you posit a tentacle for precision killing, the Horta has no reason yet to treat any opponent different from another.
* McCoy is great in this episode. He's not a bricklayer, but he can cure a rainy day!

The fiver:

Kirk: Sneaking, sneaking, la la la la la...
Spock: Sir?
Kirk: An ancient song of Enterprise crewmen, Spock. It's at least 114 years old.

Is this a reference to an Enterprise fiver?

There are Shakespeare references all over the fiver, I won't repeat all of them. Wowwy, what's the connection?

Memory Alpha:

* Only TOS teaser without any main characters.
* Gene Coon had to alter the Horta to be silicon-based instead of the prior version. Silicon Avatar and androids aside, I remember Isaac Asimov writing about the possibilities of silicon-based life because silicon is the element below carbon.
* First appearance of "I'm a doctor, not a X." This far in?
* First appearance of the standard planetary jumpsuits. I can't help but think that this is incorrect, they must've shown up earlier.

YouTube:

* Spock's mind-meld with the Horta. I'm not fond of episode after episode establishing Vulcans as touch-telepaths, only to have cases where Spock can link without physical contact.
* The ending, including the fact that Hortas like Vulcan ears.
* An ornament of Spock's mind-meld, along with "No Kill I."

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Catchup time!

Quote:
Joe: Oh, sir, it was terrible! They just lay down and died. It must've been the Pax!

I Wikipedia'ed "pax" and I'm still stumped (seemingly no applicable definition).
It's from the Firefly movie. The Pax was a government experiment in making civilians happy and docile. It worked a little too well.

Quote:
In the opening scene several characters were missing their chest emblems (I still call them Cochrane deltas for reasons explained elsewhere).
I love that explanation, though it doesn't work as well when you remember that the delta hasn't always been all of Starfleet's logo -- each ship had its own in Kirk's day. (The VOY episode "Friendship One" screwed this up by putting a delta on the titular pre-TOS probe. The writers must have found out quickly, because no deltas were used on ENT.)

Quote:
Excellent budget-saving device.
Mark Altman pointed out in a review that "The Menagerie" could so easily have been an excuse plot: "Hey Mister Spock, what was it like to serve with Captain Pike?" Ever since I read that, I've been deeply unimpressed with episodes that DO use that sort of plot, such as VOY's "11:59".

Quote:
Why not tell everyone, even the Klingons, outright, "The people on this planet can manipulate your senses. If you go there you may be enslaved for the rest of your life."
Later series introduced the idea of a warning beacon that could be placed near dangerous things, as in VOY's "Memorial". Maybe Starfleet got around to that eventually. More important, though, banning contact with the Talosians because of their powers is strictly a TOS thing to do. The Starfleet we know from later series wanted to make friends with the Crystalline Entity. For reasons both good and bad, they would definitely not give up on contact with the Talosians, so I doubt General Order 7 lasted much longer.

Quote:
Incidentally, Zeke, was the misspelling of Vina as Vena a joke or reference to something?
It wasn't deliberate. I'm not sure where the error came in, but I'm pretty sure I used an online plot synopsis as my reference for the fiver, and some of those have the wrong spelling. (The character's name isn't listed in the credits.) One of these days I'll fix it.

Quote:
With that "Reeding" reference I was expecting to be a reference to Enterprise, which still doesn't exist.
It is an ENT reference. In the first episode they go to Rigel X and Reed asks if some butterflies are real or "some sort of hologram". It was controversial at the time with people who were looking for things to find controversial. Of course Earth didn't have TNG-type holotechnology yet, but the concept exists even today. (The same scene inspired this Kevin Wald filk, a riff on the Dolly Parton song that was used as the theme for the show Butterflies.)

Quote:
the TJ Hooker thing came out of left field
You think THAT one did, try the one in this OC fiver.

Quote:
but to me the name refers to The Life of Reilly
Me too! I love that site. It's fascinating to see the anatomy of a comics disaster -- how all these talented pros managed to bounce off each other in all the wrong ways, and how many patch jobs on top of patch jobs were needed.

Quote:
Kirk: Oh, don't go all Reeves-Stevens on us.

I'm going to guess that this is a reference to Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
Natch. This is a reference to Avenger, the conclusion of the first Shatnerverse trilogy. The bad guys in that book are an eco-terrorist cult called the Symmetrists, and without giving too much away, they turn out to have been involved in several important TOS events.

As usual, there are a lot of fun bits in the book. My personal favourite:

McCoy grinned proudly at Spock. "Hear that? They're applauding ME for a change."
"Doctor," Spock replied, "I am pleased that you think so."
Kirk cupped a hand to his ear. "Is someone applauding?"
McCoy's grin faded as he looked back to the screen. "I liked you both better when you were dead."

Quote:
How could the Enterprise have Romulan spies aboard?
I think that was a reasonable concern. Secrecy is what the Romulans do, and nations here on Earth have kept agents in deep cover for long periods of time (as the show "The Americans" is currently reminding everybody).

Quote:
Spock: That logic is unsound, Captain. An invisible ship may still be able to see other ships, just as a man with his hands over his eyes is still visible.
Kirk: (gasp) You can see me when I do that?

Gasp!
I actually stole this joke from a serious bit in the novelization of DS9's "The Search" (in which, you'll recall, the Defiant really is kidding itself about being invisible to the Jem'Hadar -- though they get that fixed later).

Side note: Kirk actually has a point here. Someone truly "invisible", i.e. completely translucent, would be unable to see because light would pass right through his retinas. A useful cloaking device would have to be more sophisticated than that.

Quote:
I had to look this one up. Valen is a Bablyon 5 character.
More important, this scene plays out exactly like one in the episode "Atonement", so I took both the Centurion's dying message and the Commander's reaction from it.

Quote:
Spock: Unfortunately, we cannot fire phasers again until our first three shots leave the screen.

That sounds like a video game reference, but which one?
I had Mega Man in mind, but it could've been several others, such as Samus in the first Metroid game. Three is a common bullet limit for platformers to prevent sprite overload.

Quote:
McCoy: Are you confusing "women" with "pokémon"?
Kirk: No...but Raichu is a cutey.

Um, eww. On so many levels.
Shh, nobody tell Nate about Moemon.

Quote:
No fiver [for "A Taste of Armageddon" or "This Side of Paradise"]? That's a surprise.
We have about six TOS fivers not done yet, most of them memorable episodes. This is because when we realized the series was nearly done, we staffers divvied up the best of the leftovers for the "End of 5MST" event. We really intended to do them all -- that's why we went ahead and started the event -- but several of us (not just me for once!) had bit off more than we could chew. Result: the last few unfived TOS episodes are really memorable ones whose absence is puzzling if you don't know the story. Btw, one of mine that I got halfway through at the time was "Spock's Brain", and that's why the first half of that fiver was so much older than the rest.

Quote:
Kirk: Sneaking, sneaking, la la la la la...

Is this a reference to an Enterprise fiver?
Nate, Nate, Nate... what do we have a search box for? I first made this joke in 2001 in the DS9 pilot fiver, and it's since been in an absolute crapton of others both by me and guests. By the way, the inspiration for it was this children's song, so if you've ever wondered what tune this gag is sung to, listen to the mp3 on that page. The song is often done B-I-N-G-O style, dropping one word from the chorus each time around, hence the generic "la la la la la".

But yes, that particular one probably is a reference to an ENT fiver. This one, to be exact.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 03-10-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM

There's no reason why the Cochrane delta couldn't exist as a symbol elsewhere (still shouldn't have been on Friendship One, but still...), and just not applied to Starfleet as a whole until the big fleet relaunch between TOS and STTMP.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:39 PM

Technically, it did. But you don't acknowledge Enterprise.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:17 PM

No episode this week, but we only have four episodes left of the season, so I decided to use the break to discuss what to do with this thread until Season Two in September. Options:

1. Cover the Animated Series during the break.
2. Do a movie every other week.
3. Abandon the "fifty years later" conceit and just keep doing an episode a week.

Next fall is the TNG 30th anniversary, but I can't see myself doing two of these a week if so few people are reading them.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM

March 23rd, 1967, "Errand of Mercy"

The fiver (by IJD GAF)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The episode:

* Again, I must preface the analysis with the assertion that I do like the episode. Kor was characterized more than most Klingons, and you can see how he could be our friend in a different era.
* Don't try to think about how many died in that few days of war before the Organians stopped it.
* It seems like a waste of resources to put Kor on this planet instead of commanding a battle fleet during the current war.
* A Klingon fleet is in the quadrant and Kirk and Spock are going planetside? During wartime Kirk should never leave the ship unless the Enterprise is far, far away from the fighting, right? Couldn't Sulu handle this mission?
* Between now and Tribbles, one wonders what "kevas and trillium" are. The book "Prime Directive" designates them as akin to incense, "Diplomatic Implausibility" says that kevas are a gemstone. The novelization of the episode says that trillium is a medicinal plant.
* I do like how Kor likes Kirk for having a spine and not smiling like everyone else.
* The Klingon mind-sifter should've been used more often. The third and sixth movies come to mind.
* One wonders how much brain activity Spock devotes to these continual reevaluation of probabilities. I wonder how he'd do on the Heart of Gold.

The fiver:

Uhura: In the event of an emergency such as this, starship captains have no choice but to enter the KM-Zone.
Kirk: What's that?
Uhura: Er, nothing.

Could we have an explanation of this "KM-Zone"?

Kor: Greetings. I am Kor. Much like Korn, but without N.
Kirk: Korn without end? The horror!
Kor: Yes, many an appreciator of music has trembled before me.

So Korn is a nu-metal band, apparently. I'm going to assume that "Korn without end" is an injoke.

Kirk: I'm confused. Is that a threat or merely a continuity error?
Kor: Both. Klingon continuity has never been terribly ridged.
Kirk: You mean rigid.
Kor: That's what I said.

Ugh. Couldn't we all just go with "the foreheads were always ridged, but the budget couldn't support it" and move on?

Uhura: Nothing. Say, how'd you like to find a toy store that sells cold yo-yos?
Kirk: Hooray!

"Cold yo-yos" sounds like another reference to something, but I have to say it would make a great name for a rock band.

Memory Alpha:

* The first appearance of the Klingons. It seems odd that it took so long. Yada yada, major galactic powers should've been in the series bible, yada yada...
* Last appearance of "Vulcanian." Good riddance to bad rubbish and all that.

YouTube:

* Kor approves of "Baroner".
* The destruction of the munitions dump.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM

March 30th, 1967, "The Alternative Factor"

The fiver (by Derek)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The episode:

* Again with the "photography" instead of "sensors." Ugh.
* Spock describes Lazarus as "human." Did "humanoid" not exist yet?
* This winking out phenomenon should've been studied further. I mean, think of the military applications if you could jam your opponents sensors, if only for a few seconds!
* So in this episode Starfleet can get information within a few hours from the entire galaxy and far beyond. Proof that no astronomers were on staff. Space is big, really big, you just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggilingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to--SLAP! Sorry. Let's assume that the satellite galaxies of the Milky Way were meant. They're 200,000 light years away (instead of the nearest real galaxies at 2.5 million light years)! So at this point subspace is so fast that it can go half a million light years in a few hours (both ways, remember?). That's 2 BILLION times the speed of light! A few different tech manuals for 24th century subspace says that it's Warp 9.9999=about 200,000 times the speed of light. Let's toss aside that the 24th century is more advanced than the 23rd, an order of magnitude doesn't matter much either way when you're talking about this episode, where somehow subspace communication has suddenly gotten TEN THOUSAND TIMES FASTER THAN ANY OTHER EPISODE IN ANY SERIES! Seriously, where were the TOS equivalents of Sternbach and Okuda on this one? Surely "at least a thousand light years" would endanger enough people to be a plausible threat and still be somewhat realistic!
* After the preceding rant, all other technobabble in this episode seems reasonable, even that bit where a lunatic can telepathically trigger an effect that can cover billions of cubic light years. And if that effect is caused by his ship (and if we presume that dilithium crystals by themselves are an energy source), that one small ship can cause this effect. Okay, so it's not so reasonable. Remember on Stargate when you had to destroy an entire planet made out of Unobtanium to get a signal that far?
* You gotta feel for the sane Lazarus, though. His only crime was being the doppelganger of someone on the verge of madness.

The fiver:

The "inconceivable" jokes and substitutions were funny, I won't repeat them all.

Lazarus: I was persuing him. He's my foe. The God to my Satan. The Holmes to my Moriarty. The Superman to my Lex Luthor.
Kirk: Should I be troubled by you attributing the good characteristics to him and the bad ones to yourself?

Yes, you should, although "counterparts" would be a better word that "characteristics" in this case.

Spock: We've discovered a rip in the universe
Kirk: So we need a tailor to make a stitch in time?

This has nothing to do with the fiver, but I do recommend the novel "A Stitch in Time", the "autobiography" of Elim Garak. We now return you to the fiver analysis already in progress.

Kirk: How about some answers. What's your ship?
Lazarus: It's a time ship.
Kirk: Your last name isn't Braxton, is it?
Lazarus: I'm hunting down another time traveller, who blew up my planet in the 29th century as part of a temporal cold war. Now I need your dilithium to get back to the year 1985.
Kirk: Why do I get the feeling you're just making this up?
Lazarus: I must stop the other, and his little dog too.

Wow. Voyager, Enterprise, Back to the Future, AND the Wizard of Oz. And apparently you misspelled "traveler." One "L." It's too bad it wasn't the other way around, or I could've made another Stargate joke!

Memory Alpha:

* First appearance of realtime two-way subspace communication. No wonder, since the thing is working TEN THOUSAND TIMES FASTER THAN--slap!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM

April 13th, 1967, "Operation-Annihilate"

You know, I suddenly wonder why they didn't swap this episode and "City...", making "City..." a two-part cliffhanger.

Incidentally, I'm not going to stick to a weekly schedule with this all summer. There isn't enough interest, not a single person responded with what they'd like me to do. Maybe I'll do a movie or animated episode once in awhile when I feel like it, maybe I won't. We'll see how I feel about returning to a weekly schedule for Season Two in the fall. Ditto for NextGen's 30th.

The fiver (by Tate)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The episode:

* Kirk's brother George and his family lives here. And yet they were never mentioned before or since. Well, George had a cameo in the reboot, but the character was ultimately rewritten to be someone else. Besides, I don't care about the Kelvinverse anyway. If you want more on Kirk's nephew Peter, I refer you to the excellent novel Sarek. Peter hooks up with a Klingon woman and everything!
* "No Federation contacts for over a year." Yeah, no. I get that TOS was going for the "frontier" feeling, but that's just too much for anything other than an automated station. Things go wrong, and in TOS they often do. Furthermore, subspace isn't nearly fast or reliable enough at this point in time to be the main contact method. There should be a Federation-affiliated ship dropping by monthly, if not more often.
* I do appreciate when the enemy is nonhumanoid and nonintelligent. It shows more imagiantion.
* The Vulcan inner eyelid makes sense, but that doesn't make it feel any less like a blatant copout. I'd have preferred "Vulcans can handle eye transplants easier than humans can, he'll be back on duty in a few weeks" and then never mention it again, quite frankly.

The fiver:

I do like the "I have a brother?" "You had a brother." gag, but a few more variations would've been nice.

Aurelan: The evil creatures came eight months ago and they're using pain to force us to do whatever they want us to do. GAK!
Kirk: That's it? She's dead? I was expecting at least an emotionally charged plea that I stop the creatures.
Aurelan: Oh, by the way, please please PLEASE (sob) DON'T LET THEM GO ANY FURTHER! GAK!

Today that first "GAK!" would've been "ACK!" to mark the pseudo-death.

Spock: The creature's dead, but I'm blind.
McCoy: Bwahaha! I mean, oh no! That's too bad!

Maniacal laughter from Bones. That's a new one.

Captain's Log: Now for your Denevan weather forecast. Expect it to be VERY sunny today. You giant evil brain cell creatures may want to stay inside today, or, better yet, DIE! DIE! DIEDIEDIE--
Sulu: Captain, have you considered the effect of ultraviolet light on human skin? We're talking an epidemic of skin cancer.
Kirk: Hey! What did I tell you about my logs?

Is this a reference to another fiver?

YouTube:

The attack of the flying rubber pancakes.
It's raining sizzling rubber pancakes!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Hey, where did my "City on the Edge of Forever" post go?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM

"City on the Edge of Forever", Take 2

The fiver (by IJD GAF)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

Preface:

* In the name of civility I'm going to avoid the idiotic mistakes made by Ellison and Roddenberry. Go watch SF Debris if you want that stuff.

The episode:

* Many nits here, so I'm just going to list them as briefly as possible.
* If cordrazine is so dangerous, keep it in a safe in sickbay, not in a medkit.
* "Ten thousand centuries?" Is that easier to say than "over a million years?"
* So what is the Guardian, machine or being? I don't like riddles any more than Spock does. Just say "an artificial intelligence" or "a being's intelligence imprinted onto a machine" or whatever.
* So the Guardian can pluck people from the past, but can't control the playback speed or send people to specific points? I'm glad the animated series chucked that stupid limitation.
* I do love the ricepicker story. Borderline un-PC at the time, completely so today. I wonder how China dubs that line.
* I don't know of Kirk presenting the computer problem as a veiled insult is clever or just mean. I lean toward the latter. How about "I know Spock, but please do your best"?
* Fifteen cents an hour in 1930 is two dollars an hour today. Still pretty bad, but I daresay the mission didn't have the budget for two more part-time workers anyway. And the food is free.
* Edith's speech is inspiring, but I question it's effectiveness for people in the Great Depression who are struggling just to stay alive. More than one person should've been grumbling about that.
* Spock thinks they can get platinum in this setting? What an idiot.
* I also love "stone knives and bearskins."
* Kirk and Edith's relationship is certainly one of the more believable ones. I do like the "let me help"/"I love you" thing.
* The wording of "I believe I'm in love with Edith Keeler" deserves a little discussion. First, Kirk really doesn't know what real love feels like. Second, how can Kirk really know how he feels when so little time has passed in this unusual situation. I'm reminded of Picard and Miranda Vigo; they both knew it couldn't last so the relationship was more intense with fewer inhibitions.
* I also like the lack of post-episode Captain's Log, or even a last scene between Kirk and McCoy on board the ship.

The fiver:

Captain's Log: There's no Enterprise, and we're stuck here. Wait a minute, what am I making this log entry on?

Spock's tricorder, obviously.

Kirk: Well, the only problem I see is that GIANT DIVERSION OVER THERE!
Policeman: Wha--? ...Aww.

Classic gag.

Edith: You two are wierd.
Kirk: Who cares? You're female. Let's go for a walk or something.
Edith: Ooh, giggle....

Even Edith Keeler can't escape the juvenilization of the fiving process. The use of "female" instead of "a woman" confuses me. Given the time period and Kirk's personality, even "a chick" wouldn't be out of place.

McCoy:
Wow, I'm feeling conscious and sane!
Edith: You're on 1930s Earth.
McCoy: Hey, stop bursting my bubble like that!

Imagine the hangover jokes we could've made if this had been Scotty.

Scotty: So, did you set time right?
Guardian: They chose -- wisely.
Kirk: Just get us the hell out of here.
Guardian: But...but....
Kirk: Quiet, you. Maybe if you're lucky we can give you a cameo in a TAS episode -- with James Doohan doing your voice.
Guardian: Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Lots of good gags here. The Indiana Jones bit was certainly unexpected.

Memory Alpha:

* Lots of material here about the original, UNFILMABLE, Ellison script.
* Gene's being against the drug thing seems odd in light of Mudd's Women, considering that Gene wrote the initial outline for that episode. For me, having some rescued miners on board to deal the drugs could've worked, but it would've been several more guest stars and a lot more screentime. Even as is the episode seems too cramped.
* So Ellison backs off from having his "Cordwainer Bird" pseudonym attached because he's afraid Gene will blackball him in the industry. Since when did Gene ever have that kind of power?
* Clark Gable was not a leading man in 1930. If a leading man in 1930 who would've been known in 1967 was desired, I wonder why Maurice Chevalier, John Wayne, Buster Keaton, John Barrymore, Gary Gooper, or William Powell couldn't have been used.

YouTube:

* The cordrazine overdose.
* Edith predicts the future.
* Kirk and Spock discover how Edith changes history.
* The ending, including Edith's death.

Last edited by Nate the Great; 08-18-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Uhura: In the event of an emergency such as this, starship captains have no choice but to enter the KM-Zone.
Kirk: What's that?
Uhura: Er, nothing.

Could we have an explanation of this "KM-Zone"?
They had a subtle explanation in the Fiver itself later on.

Let me give you a hint...
Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Captain's Log: Now for your Denevan weather forecast. Expect it to be VERY sunny today. You giant evil brain cell creatures may want to stay inside today, or, better yet, DIE! DIE! DIEDIEDIE--
Sulu: Captain, have you considered the effect of ultraviolet light on human skin? We're talking an epidemic of skin cancer.
Kirk: Hey! What did I tell you about my logs?

Is this a reference to another fiver?
...you skimmed the Fiver, didn't you? This little gem was earlier in the same Fiver:
Captain's log: My brother's dead, my sister-in-law's dying, my nephew's in a coma, and everyone on Deneva is insane. In other news, the Klingons defeated the Romulans 14-7 in today's big game...
Sulu: Wait a minute, shouldn't you at least show some concern for your family?
Kirk: Hey! Get out of my captain's log!

And too bad you're stopping. I liked this, despite the fact that you seem to be skimming the Fivers and a bit of a nitpicker. Oh, and you don't think Enterprise exists.

Last edited by Flying Gremlin; 05-25-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 AM

We'll see how I feel in the fall, to maintain the 50 year gap. I'm not in the mood to cater to two people.

If I do resume, I may have to set myself a limit on how many complaints I can make. Hopefully by Season Two the terminology and technology are more consistent, anyway.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:54 PM

vBulletin does has the ability to track who has read a thread and display it below or above the content. It's been a LONG time since I used this version, but maybe it has it and maybe Zeke could either enable it or at least tell you who has looked at this thread of the registered users?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 PM

I'm thinking of resuming the TOS recaps in a easier-to-make format, abandoning the 50 year lag, in hopes of getting this done in time to start 30 years of TNG in the fall.

Proposed modifications:

* No more links to Memory Alpha or Memory Beta if it's the main episode page. You can look those up yourselves. More esoteric pages will still be linked.
* No more links to transcripts, you can look those up yourselves.
* I only get to make three nits per episode: one example of a main character acting contrary to their established persona and personality, one conflict with established canon, and one unforgivable plot hole.

Opinions?

Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of resuming the TOS recaps in a easier-to-make format, abandoning the 50 year lag, in hopes of getting this done in time to start 30 years of TNG in the fall.

Proposed modifications:

* No more links to Memory Alpha or Memory Beta if it's the main episode page. You can look those up yourselves. More esoteric pages will still be linked.
* No more links to transcripts, you can look those up yourselves.
* I only get to make three nits per episode: one example of a main character acting contrary to their established persona and personality, one conflict with established canon, and one unforgivable plot hole.

Opinions?
MA and MB links for the pages, agreed that they're not necessary.

Transcripts... meh. I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Nitpick as much as you want, though. You know you want to, and I hear holding that in is detrimental to your health.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 PM

Well, I hope that by Season Two of TOS the rate of "this should've been in the series bible early on" plot holes will slow down.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Well, I hope that by Season Two of TOS the rate of "this should've been in the series bible early on" plot holes will slow down.
The real reason for my absence for a month? I fell over laughing at this, hit my head on something, and had a concussion for three weeks where I wasn't allowed to use a computer.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:53 AM

By the way, if you want, I can do "Amok Time".