The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

If you noticed, some escape pods got through the holes in the web, while others went kablowy as they hit it. I"m guessing all the main characters will be the lucky ones. :P

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Last of the ko fighters

What I don't understand about the mirror-universe-theory:
  • In DS9 they said there were no cloaking devices in the mirror universe. Obviously there are.
  • If earths first contact was the 'starting point' of the mirror universe, how come everyone in the episode acts evil already? This is not THAT long from first contact. And Phlox enjoying torturing people? Well, I suppose humans could have used vulcan technology to take over Denobula.
  • So the terran empire had the strength to conquer the vulcans and the borg, but they get defeated by the klingons one day?
  • How did the humans conquer the vulcans anyway? They were a group of people with primitive weapons boarding a vulcan ship. Obviously it had no security of any kind. And then they used that one ship to take over vulcan? I find it hard to believe.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel
What I don't understand about the mirror-universe-theory:
I'm willing to give a couple of plausible explanations.

Quote:
  • In DS9 they said there were no cloaking devices in the mirror universe. Obviously there are.
In DS9, it was the Klingons who had no cloaking device (nevermind "Crossover"). That doesn't stop the Suliban from having one.

Quote:
  • If earths first contact was the 'starting point' of the mirror universe, how come everyone in the episode acts evil already? This is not THAT long from first contact. And Phlox enjoying torturing people? Well, I suppose humans could have used vulcan technology to take over Denobula.
As much as this week's episode might disprove what I'm about to say, there's nothing canonical about when the universes diverged. It could have been at First Contact. It could've been the universe where Edith Keeler lived. Who knows?

Quote:
  • So the terran empire had the strength to conquer the vulcans and the borg, but they get defeated by the klingons one day?
The Klingons, Cardassians, and Bajorans jointly, if memory serves. And as the Intendant said, it was due to Kirk's contact with the MU that caused Spock to call for peace, and thus show weakness to their enemies.

Quote:
  • How did the humans conquer the vulcans anyway? They were a group of people with primitive weapons boarding a vulcan ship. Obviously it had no security of any kind. And then they used that one ship to take over vulcan? I find it hard to believe.
Now that, I have no idea about. It does seem kind of implausible.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Last of the ko fighters

They all sound plausible enough. I have to catch up on my mirror-universe theory.

By the way, what's "I.S.S. Enterprise"? It's on the hull of the mirror-Enterprise.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Keep in mind that the "real" universe has changed just as much for the better in just as short a time. ST:FC was based on the idea that first contact was an event with unique power to unite mankind. It's not such a stretch that we might unite against the aliens rather than in cooperation with them. (Remember Independence Day? They made a big point of how the alien attack brought the whole world together. Of course, as in Trek, the United States had to act first before anybody else got involved. Presumably we other countries were just twiddling our thumbs, going "dee dee dee dee doo, da dee dee doo dee dee....")

As for the change in humans' morality, maybe it's what came of being a species in constant battle with other worlds. The Romans considered themselves civilized and peace-loving, but we look back on much of their society with revulsion, and that society was all about constant expansion and "pacification." Also, remember that we're watching a military crew here. The standard ENT crew may have ranks, but their MU counterparts are soldiers. With such a drastic difference in their ways of life, Archer and Mirror-Archer might have no more in common than Picard and Shinzon did.

Of course, this is all just silly rationalization. "Mirror, Mirror" is a great time as long as you don't think too hard about it, and that applies to MU episodes in general.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Last of the ko fighters

Nicely said.

In fact, as I understand it, it's our universe that's the fake one. It's the result of a predestination paradox.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
By the way, what's "I.S.S. Enterprise"? It's on the hull of the mirror-Enterprise.
If U.S.S. Enterprise is the United Star Ship Enterprise, then I.S.S. Enterprise would be Imperial Star Ship.

Quote:
And Phlox enjoying torturing people?
Actually, my biggest gripe with the episode was how they didn't even bother changing Mirror Phlox's character at all.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I trust you both stop sometime before "The Emperor's New Cloak"....
Nope All of 'em. DS9 Rocked!

Um, anyway...one other thing was a little odd...there are two things that happen in most MU shows:
1) The meet their other selves and
2)It's the same time period.

Both critical elements were missing in this ep, which made me feel a little cheated (so far, as there is still part 2, of course) Oh well...wait and see, eh?
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 04-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

^ No quibble with item 2, but wasn't Kira the only one to meet her MU double? It could just be a brain drop-out, but I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 04-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Actually, my biggest gripe with the episode was how they didn't even bother changing Mirror Phlox's character at all.
...I was going to use that joke in the fiver and now I can't. Because of you. All because of you.

(loud guitar comes in)

I kept everything inside! And even though I tried! It all fell apart! What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when I tried! So! Hard! And got so far! But in the end, it doesn't even matter!....

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

By the way, Zeke, Shania Twain called -- she needs those exclamation points back or she can't finish her next album.

Quote:
so I'm not taking anything for granted until I see Forrest's dead, cold body floating in space (or at least some dialog saying he's dead).
Or you could just check Vaughn Armstrong's IMDb listing and see that he's -- [SPOILER REMOVED. You should know better, evay. Shame on you and your kin. - Z]
Old 04-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudshark
^ No quibble with item 2, but wasn't Kira the only one to meet her MU double? It could just be a brain drop-out, but I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.
Oh...maybe, yah... but still, in DS9, MU and non-MU characters interacted, and the usual universe characters got to go into the MU...in "In The Mirror, Darkly" it's all MU, MU, MU, and time-travelled ship (instead of 'shiping) unless there's something they are not telling us... *du du dun*

I mean, who can forget MU Dax interacting with the usual Quark? *shudders*
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 04-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Linkin Park makes me very sad.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay
By the way, Zeke, Shania Twain called -- she needs those exclamation points back or she can't finish her next album.
Uh oh. If I'm not careful, she'll get me good.

Just like she should.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

Quote:
As much as this week's episode might disprove what I'm about to say, there's nothing canonical about when the universes diverged. It could have been at First Contact. It could've been the universe where Edith Keeler lived. Who knows?
Damn that Edith Keeler!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Last of the ko fighters

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
...I was going to use that joke in the fiver and now I can't. Because of you. All because of you.
Use it. It's good. We know you came up with it on your own.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:48 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

oops! ops: Sorry, Z, you're right, I should have spoiler-tagged that. My bad. I've gotten so accustomed to spoiler-whoring for the Soap Opera E-Plot that I forgot that I actually haven't been spoiled for IAMD2, and that not everyone reads spoilers anyway.

But leave Nonna out of this.

Quote:
Uh oh. If I'm not careful, she'll get me good.
Just like she should.
Don't be stupid, you know she loves you.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:06 PM
...and not cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger
I thought they were really dumb to do the MU so close to finale time... but it was so COOL! And obviously, the fan reception was great, and the ratings were actually UP .2 points on a night when about half the country got pre-empted! So it obviously worked out.

http://zach.gqfleet.net/MirrorOpeningCredits.avi

Very cool file there.
I'm having trouble viewing the video. Is there some sort of pug-in I need to download? What kind of player would you recommend for it?