The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 04-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Wow. Now that was a great episode. I wish I had taped it because I'd like to see it again.

I thought this episode was superb. I liked the Ghost of Crewman Past scene, it was nice to hear about some of the crew we've never seen. But just how many crew does Enterprise have left? Won't they get to a point where there won't be enough people to run the ship?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Agreed, that was a great episode. Connor Trineer was fantastic -- when he finally broke down in front of T'Pol he almost had me in tears, and that's saying a lot. The episode had great pacing, great dialogue, and it had me glued to the screen for the entire episode (something that hasn't happened in a while). I had to refrain from hanging up on my dad when he called with fifteen minutes left, but fortunately caught the ending in a later showing.

As for the crew shortage, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first major batch of casualties Enterprise has suffered? However, I wouldn't mind them dropping the occasional reference to them being shorthanded (as Trip did in his final scene when he was trying to fix relays without some of his people).[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-29-2004, 01:25 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]TRIP SEES DEAD PEOPLE!

That [iost_uid0]was[/iost_uid0] a great episode. I wonder if they are going to make T'Pol live with emotions permanently? In any case, I'm not a T/T'Per but after that sweet, sad crying scene I could certainly live with it if they get a real relationship.

And Degra is one badass traitor. [/colorost_uid0]
And become EVIL!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I needed a tissue after that one. ;_; But then again i'm very much a girl.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Agreed, great episode. It was a little all over the map in terms of plot, but for once that worked and didn't come across as incoherent. The only part I thought was a stretch was Trip ranting at Degra -- it's perfectly in character for him to [iost_uid0]want[/iost_uid0] to, but Trip's got enough discipline to save it for a more appropriate time. Degra is their only chance of saving Earth, and Trip knows that.

Unlike what seems to be the typical reaction, I wasn't too affected by Trip's final breakdown. In fact, the main thought going through my head was that T'Pol was the absolute last person on the ship qualified to counsel him about handling emotions. [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] did have me on the point of tears recently, though, with the brutal attack on the ship in "Azati Prime." It still hurts every time I see those crewmen getting sucked into space in the previouslies.

Random observation: anyone remember the last time a Trek ship lost 18 crew in one attack? It was the [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0]-D in "Q Who?", when the Borg basically used an apple corer on the ship.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Wow. This was one of the best episodes of the season. Not much else to say. Enterprise really is getting better and better.

They'd better make a fourth season to prove this.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Honestly, I feel bad for all my Trekkie friends out there who have refused to watch this series because they think it's damaging the timeline or the stories are just plain stupid. These latest episodes are rivaling DS9 and the show quality has improved dramaticly. They've definatly found their feet, and earlier than most of the other series did it. Kudos Enterprise. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Argh. Now, I'm beginning to get frustrated that I haven't been able to see any eps since [iost_uid0]Harbinger[/iost_uid0]. :angry: I'll catch them up over the summer, but more pressing matters have been prevailing lately.[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 04-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You could always download them with Bittorrent or Direct Connect. You wouldn't have to wait so long.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Insert canine joke here

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Bittorrent used to get them pre-air (at least for the people in the US) But I guess Canaduh changed Enterprise's air day or something? So they no longer can get us to it before wednesday. Oh well. I'll still download it though if I think it's a good ep and want to watch it again. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Long fellow

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hang on, mudshark, you can waste your time here but not see Enterprise episodes? Priorities, priorities!

Otherwise, I must agree that it was a darned good episode. Can't say I liked it as much as [iost_uid0]Azati Prime[/iost_uid0] or [iost_uid0]Damage[/iost_uid0], but Trip finally dealing with his sister's death was quite good. The possibility of an actual relationship developing between Trip and T'Pol (rather than the shameless UPN-style ratings grabs we've seen) is quite intriguing.

However, I thought the whole plasma leak was basically, in whatever-his-name-is's words, action filler. Of course, that's what I thought about all of [iost_uid0]Impulse[/iost_uid0] and look where that's taken us. And we do have the unresolved issue of Reed's time in the hospital as a result of that.

I also thought Degra's sudden betrayal of his people unrealistic for a man of his obvious caliber. But then, I also found his initial embracement of the weapon project wildly unrealistic after seeing him in [iost_uid0]Stratagem[/iost_uid0]. I mean, destroying a world without proof? I can see it from the reptilians or the insectoids, or even the aquatics, but from Degra? Come on, only a monster could bring himself to do this thing, and we've seen Degra not to be a monster. So which is it?

But this was all made up for in Trip's very good performance throughout the dead crewman crisis. I especially liked the in-your-face dream sequence. Very like Trip, and much better than [iost_uid0]Birthright, Part I[/iost_uid0].

The Damage is also very, very cool. To follow up Zeke's [iost_uid0]Azati Prime[/iost_uid0] comments, I would [bost_uid0]love[/bost_uid0] to get a copy of the soundtrack of that episode and/or season. TrekConnection just doesn't seem to meet my needs anymore, and I'm really missing Star Trek in Sound and Vision.[/colorost_uid0]