The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Top Ten Trek Episodes that feature pie as a major plot device

10. "Yu'Lia Schild": A Vulcan scientist who was raised in Germany comes aboard the Enterprise, and Troi senses she is not all she seems. When she confronts Yu'Lia, Troi realizes that Yu'Lia is a world-class chocolate-pie baker. However, the pies turn out to be more than meets the eye when several Feringi scientists eat the pie and start falling in love with Troi. In the end, Riker and Worf are found not guility of murder, because, really, they only killed some Feringi...

9. "Kirk''s Work": Kirk eats Trillian Apple Pie right before a very important speech at the Nurse's, Teacher's, and Doctor's Federation Union. However, as he does not realize that the pie is actually 60% alchol, and he ends up saying all women should just spend their time baking pies. The teachers, nurses and doctors (who are 80% female) decide that good punishment is to make Kirk, well, bake pies. 4700 of them.

8. "All Good Things": Q decides that a good punishment for the follies of the human race is to take away all their pie. Picard ends up travelling back and forth in time, attempting to get pie back.

7. "I Love Lucy": Trip must defeat the woman he loves, Lucy, who bakes a really good pecan pie, but happens to be evil, as she is a matchmaker from the Vulcan and believes T'Pol and Archer would be a good couple.

6. "Unnamed Holodeck Episode #47": Picard and Dr. Crusher decided to spend a fun day in the holodeck, in British Columbia, 2004, at the PNE. But, oddly, every food stand starts to turn into a pie stand, the Enterprise starts to be guided by a green bumper car, a guy named Bertuzzi thinks he can leave the holodeck and become a star "player" again, and Guinen shows up.

5. "Waking Up In Your Cup": Voyager is dangerously short on coffee, so Janeway guides it to a planet obvously rich in caffiene. However, on the planet, coffee is used only in pies, and only in sacrifices to President Fodgers. Breaking every Federation rule, Janeway kidnaps Folgers, has The Doctor go down to the planet imitating him, and get all the coffee pie for the week.

4. "Neelix's New Hobby": Neelix finds a historical text in the Voyager database called the "Joy of Cooking" and discovers "Pecan Pie". However, he mistakes dried beans for pecans. Meanwhile, Janeway and Chakotay are negotiating with a alien race that is very proper and finds any naturallly occuring odors as a sign of hatred...

3. "Anomoly": Kirk's Enterprise goes through an anomoly, and all weapons turn into pies. Then the Enterprise meets a Klingon ship that is ready for battle. The only defense the Enterprise has are huge meringue pies; however, the Klingons find pies in faces very funny, a truce is made, and the end of Human/Klingong war results.

2. "Gas Attack": The Cardassians create a new weapon which makes people obsess over food. The crew of DS9 are attacked, and spend their time making up Top Ten Lists which all revolve around pies. Finally, Odo, who of course can't eat, realizes something is wrong, as Quark, who never really does work, bakes a pie. Odo then saves the day.

1. "Feelings": Trip tries to explain to T'Pol how much he loves her using a pecan pie as a bar graph. Also, some b-plot about Archer, Romulians, and a Klingon who wants to be a Hippie.

Top Ten Trek Eps The Involve Olympic Sports (make 'em up, of course )

D'OH! Double post! Oh well!
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Quote:
1. "Feelings": Trip tries to explain to T'Pol how much he loves her using a pecan pie as a bar graph. Also, some b-plot about Archer, Romulians, and a Klingon who wants to be a Hippie.
hee hee hee
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

Bwahahahahahah! Ginga, Opium - hilarious lists! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 08-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Outside looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Corelli
Bwahahahahahah! Ginga, Opium - hilarious lists! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hehehe... thank you.

*is still laughing at "Neelix's New Hobby"* :lol:
Old 08-28-2004, 05:23 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Brace yourselves. As Nic predicted it was so quiet at work tonight, and me with nothing to study now that Latin is over (as you know if you've been reading my LJ ), that I am making a new, expanded, improved archive of the Top Ten lists. I hope to have it posted tomorrow.

This one took me a bit longer to put together, because half of the lists since my last compilation in March were subjected to this strange, progressive segmenting disease that seemed to have infected the TTL while I was busy elsewhere, with the result that lists started stretching out over three, or four, or eighteen posts. Nonetheless the effect is interesting, I think you'll see, because these round-robin efforts a lot of times end up being the best ones--particularly and especially the captain's logs, which I'd rate as one of the best ones to appear on this board, joint effort or no. And it was great to catch up on a lists I never saw while I was away.

Thanks to all the contributors who have shared many many laughs with a bunch of strangers that have come to be friends in this peculiar but most excellent corner or cyberspace.

I'll post here when the archive is ready. I will try to do something about keeping file size small--I now have a more advanced version of Acrobat.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

You might try dividing it all up into several documents Thanks for the effort!

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 08-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

The New Top Ten File is available. The link is http://galacticzero.com/new_toptens.pdf . The file size is about 1 MB.

I haven't yet chopped it up, but I hope to do so soon.

Hope you have some fun with it--I did!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:45 PM
I fell in the pit
You fell in the pit
We all fell in the piiiiit

I downloaded the first one the other day and I couldn't stop laughing for a week

just loading the new one

I have no doubt that it is at least as good as the first one :lol:

edith

hey it's great to read your own nickname in the pdf a couple of times :P
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Great Master Top Ten List!

But...

I do believe it was in fact I, and not Standback, who created Data/Toaster, yet my list is second! Am I wrong? maybe I should check...

Yep, was me! Yay me! And yes, I am very being very petty and silly... :wink:

Hehe, topTen lists rule!
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 08-30-2004, 03:41 PM

Top Ten Trek Eps That Involve Olympic Sports

10. "Strongest Talaxian in the Universe": Neelix accidentally stumbles upon a strength potion involving various chemicals and pizza, then signs up for an intragalactic weightlifting contest and wins it, beating various Borg and humongous aliens in the process.

9. "We'll See You in the Holosuite": Sisko gets a rematch against the Vulcans...in table tennis.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

8. "Slowly Creeping Madness" - The Cardassians capture Worf, O'Brian, and Nog. In order to extract valuable information to them, many insidious forms of torture are used to break they're resistance and convince the three that they are going insane. The climax of the episode is reached when the three are led to believe that they are part of a Cardassian Synchronized Swimming Team.

7. "Frozen Message" - Hoshi faces one of her greatest challenges when trying to communicate with aliens who speak by skating complex figures onto icy rinks.

6. "The Javelin" - Bashir is a tad too quick to take up a challenge to his skill at darts from the mysterious Emshakki. The Emshakki turn out to be veritable giants, and each dart is as long as Julian himself is tall.

5. "Never Never Land" - All adults on Voyager mysteriously disappear, and the Borg children must figure out where they've gone. In a dramatic subplot, Naomi Wildmann decides to take the opportunity to dig into the cookie jar, but discovers it's placed far above her reach. Her only recourse is: the Pole Vault.

4. "Badminton" - Deprived of their beloved Tsunkatse game, the Norcadians turn to a new sport for entertainment.

3. "Subzero" - Spock is trapped on a high mountain on a planet covered by ice, where he will soon die if he does not escape. To survive, our intrepid Vulcan has only 12 hours to learn how to ski.

2. "Gymnastics" - Archer suggests T'Pol lead an aerobic workout group for Enterprise's women. Tensions run high when the hidden cameras are discovered.

1. "Shortcuts" - A milestone Federation-Klingon treaty is anulled and scandal abounds when it is discovered that both negotiating teams had used steroids.

Next up: Top Ten Ways to Get Yourself Recruited Into Section 31
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 08-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

Man, I need to get back into this thread more often. So busy with all sorts of things... but they're *good* things, so I can't complain much. Scooter, kudos for the new pdf - most excellent. Having them all in one place is great, much appreciated - and swell editing, as well! 84 pages of Top Ten lists - who'da thunk it?
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium
Great Master Top Ten List!

But...

I do believe it was in fact I, and not Standback, who created Data/Toaster, yet my list is second! Am I wrong? maybe I should check...

Yep, was me! Yay me! And yes, I am very being very petty and silly... :wink:

Hehe, topTen lists rule!
Yeah, what I really needed to do was to have a DATE field for the lists (because, ya see, I made a frickin' database--actually the simplest way to organize all that info); but I decided I wasn't that crazy obsessive.

Anyway, I think everyone knows Data/toaster is the unique creation of Opium. I love it because it's so much more plausible than C/7...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Since I did make a database (whatta geek), I can now answer the following burning question: "Didn't I see Opium's name a lot in that archive?" The answer, my children, is ... oh yeah.

Top Ten Authors of Top Ten Lists
(including patrtial lists)

10. Taya17 (7.4 lists)
9. PHJ (8.4)
8. Nic Corelli (14.7)
7. Sa'ar (15.2)
6. Gatac (18.1)
5. NeoMatrix (20.1)
4. Standback (21.3)
3. NAHTMMM (23.2)
2. Scooter (29.5)
1. Opium (48.6)

Top Ten Contributors to Top Ten Lists
(by number of lists contributed to)

10. Taya17 (13 lists)
9. Anubis (15)
8. Sa'ar (18 )
7. Gatac (21)
6. Nic Corelli (24)
5. Standback (27)
4. NeoMatrix (30)
3. Scooter (32)
2. NAHTMMM (33)
1. Opium (71)

Top Ten Authors of Complete Top Ten Lists
(the author wrote all 10 items)

10. MaverickZer0 (6 complete lists)
9. PHJ (8 )
8. Nic Corelli (8 )
7. Sa'ar (14)
6. NeoMatrix (14)
5. Gatac (14)
4. NAHTMMM (16)
3. Standback (18 )
2. Scooter (26)
1. Opium (36)

All hail the Queen of the Top Ten Lists! Let's chip in to get her a life!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standback
7. "Frozen Message" - Hoshi faces one of her greatest challenges when trying to communicate with aliens who speak by skating complex figures onto icy rinks.
hee hee hee
Old 08-30-2004, 11:35 PM

Ga-WOW! 2nd? :shock: I was leafing through and didn't think I saw my name nearly THAT often...

Yup

Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

I forgot to post the link to where you can download the free Acrobat reader if you don't already have it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
Old 08-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHTMMM
Ga-WOW! 2nd? :shock: I was leafing through and didn't think I saw my name nearly THAT often...
I misspelled it once--not enough M's.

BTW, your new avatar makes me hungry for cherries every time I see it...
Old 08-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Primal

Pah, you all have too much time on your hands and should all go get some life and--oh wait. My name appears on some of those charts? Damn!

Well then.

I'd contribute more often, but since I'm so out of the Trek fandom loop now (I've watched SIX, count 'em SIX episodes of Enterprise) I usually find that I have no idea what the topic of the top 10 list is about in the first place. Like the latest, "Top Ten Ways to Get Yourself Recruited Into Section 31"-- I vaguely know what Section 31 is, but not well enough to actually make substantially funny jokes about it.

In summordium: I suck. Geh.

Great job though Scooter! I forgot to leave a comment on your LJ post 'cos I was too carried away with laughing over the pdf after I'd downloaded it, but GREAT JOB! Very classy. Four thumbs up everybody!

Don't ask me where you're going to get four thumbs from. What do I look like to you, a genetics engineer?

...oh.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:30 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Yeah - that new and complete listing is AWESOME! Some of those top ten lists are great! Maybe I should write some, but how could I ever live up to the greatness set before me?

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!