The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Default What the hell is this?

http://www.mysteryarts.com/magic/wor...ndex.php?p=387

It's amazing what turns up when you vanity Google yourself.

This book appears to be a compilation of random magic words that some dude has stolen off the Internet. The weirdest part is that I stole that "magic word" from the fora (I also stole from Arabian Nights, The Day The Earth Stood Still and Sesame Street). He makes a half-assed attempt at citation, but attributes the quote to the "author" (my screen name, despite the fact my real name is at the bottom of the page along with the copyright declaration) rather than the character speaking, and simply lists the title of the fiver with no attempt to provide a URL, the name of the site, the date accessed or any explanation at all as to what "Five Minute Body Parts" is. Taken out of context, it sounds like some sort of Prosthetics While You Wait service. I wonder if this counts towards my Cited By total.

This find is much more entertaining than that Argentinian website that translated one of my fivers into Spanish. Apparently it was hilarious, judging by all the "jajajajaja"s. I can't remember which one it was, but I thought it was fairly mediocre in English.

Last edited by Sa'ar Chasm; 04-05-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Hee. I love nutty pseudoscience online.

Also, I'm fairly sure "Sesame" does not have anything to do with "seshemu"; Faulkner's Concise Dictionary marks two words that this might derive from; one is "ruler, leader", the other is "statue, portrait, image, counterpart". Quite aside from that it makes no sense whatsoever as an etymology.

Wiki claims the term derives from the plant, the name of which, apparently, derives from Assyrian "shamash-shammu".

My guess is that the site/book/etc. is some kind of 'secrets of the ancients' claptrap a la Zeitgeist: The Movie.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

When I was a kid, I always thought it meant "says me" with an extra syllable in the middle, so that Open Sesame essentially means open the door because I said so.

It may just be a nonsense word made to sound foreign, since anyone speaking Arabic is unlikely to say the English word "open".

Quote:
Hee. I love nutty pseudoscience online.
I'm not sure how seriously the dude takes his book. It might be in the vein of Legends of the Ferengi or the Star Wars atlas, where fictional stuff is presented as "real", but both author and reader know it's fake and accept the premise because they think it's neat (for a sliding definition of "neat").

Last edited by Sa'ar Chasm; 04-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Wow. That's really surreal. And amusing, of course.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs