The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 05-06-2005, 01:58 PM
...and not cowardly

Default Take that, frakkers!

Well, as you may or may not know (or may or may not care), Labour won yesterday's General Election with a healthy but greatly reduced majority - from 167 seats down to 66. The Conservatives made the most gains and are now sitting at just under 200 seats, and the Liberal Democrats have the best number of seats they've had for something like eighty years with 62. I think the most interesting thing about the whole election though is the numbers of votes that each party got - Labour, despite it's majority, only has a 36% share of the total vote, and the Tories have 33%, so hardly a ringing endosement for either. One reason for that though is because of the Lib Dems - though they only gained ten seats, in quite a few constituencies there was a swing in the number of voters who voted for them compared with the last election. Their 22% share is up something like five points from last time, which is a big jump from their point of view. There were in some places healthy swings towards the Tories too, of course, but the biggest swing of all was in the Welsh constituency of Blenau Gwent (49%!) where there was an independant Labour candidate standing in protest over the fact that the Labour party had foisted on them an all-female shortlist of candidates when the local party already had a list selected. Out of all the minor parties the SNP did the best - they gained two seats (including the Western Isles, interestingly), but their share of the vote actually fell and they are now third behind the Lib Dems in Scotland. The Northern Ireland constituences won't declare for another few hours yet, so how the balance of the parties there plays out is as yet anyone's guess. UKIP and the BNP didn't manage to put in a decent showing anywhere, and nor did the Greens for that matter, though in some places their share of the vote went up a bit. Perhaps the sweetest moment of the night though was seeing Kilroy-Silk's utterly pathetic showing. He failed to make any kind of impact at all, and the expression on his face when he realised how badly he had been beaten was priceless. :lol:

All in all I'd say it's been an interesting election - a great many people are obviously dissatisfied with Tony Blair as a Prime Minister, and it remains to be seen how much of the Conservative and Lib Dem gains were due to either tactical voting or voters who were just fed up with Labour and/or Blair. One interesting result of how the voting percentages have lined up is that there has been a lot of talk about proportional representation bandied about, but whether that will actually amount to anything any time soon is perhaps unlikely. Still, it's nice to know that there is perhaps some more awareness of how our voting system presently works than there was before.

Hooray for democracy!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Blech. Politics. And UK politics at that! Yeah I don't understand any of that. lol Sorry PHJ. :P

All I know is that Bush sucks, and I *didn't* vote for him. Thank you.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Where's a dental hygienist when you need one?

Send a message via AIM to stripysox Send a message via MSN to stripysox
Default Re: Take that, frakkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJ
Perhaps the sweetest moment of the night though was seeing Kilroy-Silk's utterly pathetic showing. He failed to make any kind of impact at all, and the expression on his face when he realised how badly he had been beaten was priceless. :lol:
I'd say that was second sweetest, behind the Respect pary winning Bethnal Green & Bow. That was just amazing!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
One interesting result of how the voting percentages have lined up is that there has been a lot of talk about proportional representation bandied about
Same here. The BC premier's trying to restructure the system to combine the present first-past-the-post system with a proportional representation system. Half the seats in the Legislature are directly elected from the ridings, and the other half are apportioned to the parties based on their share of the popular vote. Before the election, each party prepares a list of candidates they'd like to see in the Legislature, and after the votes are tallied they cross off the names that got elected and if Prop. Rep gives them 18 seats, then the top 18 people on the list get in. This is one way the unelectable sleazebags can get into the government.

Campbell set up a bunch of Citizen's Committees to work on the system, and I believe there's a referendum on the matter on this year's election ballot (having lived in Ontario for the past 16 months, I'm not eligible for this one). Campbell says the word citizen a lot, and my dad gets Stalinist chills every time he does.

Quote:
Perhaps the sweetest moment of the night though was seeing Kilroy-Silk's utterly pathetic showing.
Whonow?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! (I almos used triple !'s there!)

[RANT]Not...politics! Come on, it's everywhere, especially here in BC: we hear about the BC election, and the National (Harper-won't-stop-harping-at-an)Election fiasco! I read about it all the time in newspapers, it's on the news all the time, and, to make it worse, we have to watch those awful "Beautiful BC" badly-masked political ads on top of actual elections ads. And to make it worse, BC has no balance to its politics right now, so it's like a crazy BC ferry that has only one side of the car level full, and the other side almost empty, so it's spinning around and around and kinda sinking, but hey, enjoy the view and free lunch, passengers![/RANT]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Default Re: Take that, frakkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJ
the SNP
Scottish National Party? Send (a) 'Nother Pint?
Quote:
UKIP and the BNP
? and ?
I've got at least a vague notion about who Kilroy-Silk is.

How about the Monster Raving Loony Party? Do they even still exist, now that Lord Sutch is gone?

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 05-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Where's a dental hygienist when you need one?

Send a message via AIM to stripysox Send a message via MSN to stripysox

(bias and extremely summarised)

UKIP is the UK Independence Pary - They hate europe and immigration, thats about it.

BNP is the British National Party - I would say they are basicly a bunch of Nazis but thats not really fair I suppose.

The Monster Raving Looney Party are still around, they had a couple of candiates this time. Some guy on a hobbie horse.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

!
I barely understand the politics where I live. I rely on Socials class too much, and just yesterday I was going 'okay, what are we talking about?' too many times in the discussion.

Then I woke up. And everyone else was asleep/uninterested/not paying attention. Except for the good students. Of which I am not one.

So I went back to sleep.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...