The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 04-13-2022, 03:13 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Game Crazy training video from 2003.

It's always amusing to see adults use teen slang to seem "hip" without any comprehension of what the slang actually means. If they did they'd know what inflection to use when saying "this is like a gamer's ride, dawg" or "fly new game titles". Yeesh.

"Niles, please don't try to be hip. You remind me of when Bob Hope dresses up as The Fonz."

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:15 PM

Time for another Star Trek DeviantArt Day!

The E-D shoots at a Tie Fighter
The USS Mayflower-a colony ship that can separate into a warp sled and a main section that can land on a planet. Clearly inspired by Voyager.
Every so often I see proposed refits to the NX-01 to make it look more like a traditional starship configuration. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the NX-01 design?
Someone tweaked the Constitution class to look more like the NX-01. This one I don't mind so much, kitbashes of the Constitution class have been a thing for decades.
What if Captain Kangaroo commanded the Enterprise? It's always makes me happy to see that people still remember Captain Kangaroo...
A crossover between TWOK and Madeline Khan. Madeline was a star decades ago, you'd probably know her best from her appearances in various Mel Brooks movies, I know her best from her appearances with the Muppets (Muppet Movie, Muppet Show). And the Amazing Thing That I Learned Today is that she appeared on Sesame Street several times.

In honor of Easter, today is a good day to dye!

Star Trek characters in Peanuts style. I never did like reboot Uhura's ponytail (or the relationship with Spock), but I do appreciate the use of Spock's viewer (although I'm pretty sure it puts out red light, not blue).
Apparently Trek characters as Peanuts characters is a thing...
A fan poster for TWOK. Interesting composition.
The TOS crew as CG models. I still can't get over Chekov's hair...
CG Jadzia in a TOS uniform, although the hair is wrong and she's wearing WAY too much makeup, that can't be regulation...
Excellent painting of Khan
It had to happen, the TOS trinity as the Oz trinity
TOS crew as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Kirk calls in Wile E. Coyote to help fight the Gorn. Kirk's eyes remind me of the Fleisher Superman for some reason...
Janeway goes all Gollum over her "precious" coffee

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:29 PM

You'd think after all these decades people would know that fax machines send a copy as data and don't actually teleport the paper, but I guess not...

It reminds me of the fax section over at Computer Stupidities. At least those stories are twenty years old...

Old 04-21-2022, 12:31 AM

I found a few new DeviantArt collections, that last post was just getting started.

A common motif is Mirror Universe Terran Empire clothes. I think most of these are trying too hard, Trek should not have JRPG fashion sensibilities.
TNG Season 1 cast fanart. No Tasha and Picard is a little scowly, but okay.
I'm noticing an interesting phenomenon-redesigning TNG starship classes for the TOS era and vice-versa. Here's a TOS era Nebula class. I do wonder why people still use those satellite dish deflectors in their designs.

A couple Star Wars aliens if they were Borg. I'm pretty sure Admiral Ackbar's race (which is apparently called "Mon Calamari") has mouths that don't look so much like whales.
What if the hullplate groves on Voyager were a lot deeper?

It's not everyday that you see a Cheron native in fanart, especially since Lokai and Bele were clearly the last ones.

A fan poster for STIII. I don't like how the guest stars have so much more poster real estate than the regulars, but it's a nice composition.
Kirstie Alley's Saavik in a TOS uniform. Although I thought the communicator went on the back of the belt and wasn't worn while aboard.
LEGO Enterprises aren't unusual, but I've never seen a collection this big. I'm pretty sure some of those ships are really from Star Wars, though.
What if Captain Janeway was on Winx Club? Now there's a question I never thought I'd ask...
Trek characters with lightsabres aren't unusual, it's when you give them anime hair and Batman utility belts that it gets weird...
What if a Constitution class crashed on a planet? Although I'm sure the Constitution class had a one-time-only saucer separation capability. And even if the ship was intact the nacelles would be wrenched right off by atmospheric turbulence.
A fanmade revision of the Defiant class called the Hornet class. They clearly put a lot of work into this, but I'm not a fan. The compact nature of the Defiant had a point, but upping the scale just looks silly.

Bill Murray in a TOS uniform
An interesting redesign of the D'Deridex warbird
The lirpa fight in an interesting animation style.

Casting real life celebrities as Starfleet officers isn't unusual, but putting them in fan-made uniforms for fan projects is. Hi Sam Neill!
Of course someone would put Pike, Number One (I REFUSE to call her Una!), and Spock's original actors in Discovery uniforms.
(Meaningless aside, but when I have to attach a name to Number One I default to Morgan Primus).
What a TOS-era Ten Forward would look like
Why does animated Duras look like a young Gorkon?
You'd be amazed how much fanart of M'Ress there is, but someone actually went out and made a doll of her!

Old 04-21-2022, 01:58 PM

What's inside Big Ben AKA Elizabeth Tower?

I still have my copy of The Way Things Work, and I like stuff like this. In particular I was surprised to learn that the Westminster Chimes are caused by essentially a huge music box.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:41 PM

Seriously, the DeviantArt well never seems to go dry...

The Enterprise hovering above a lake, complete with a nice reflection
A rather odd starship design. Why make a rollbar without actually putting a hull on the rollbar?
A rather interesting revamp of the 1701. Why do nacelles need fins? And I'm still wondering what those spheres at the rear of the nacelles are supposed to do...
It's always nice to see fanart of the ring-ship Enterprise (XCV 330)
Even if I think they're ugly I can't help but have a fondness for Constitution-class kitbashes. Even so, a deflector dish pointing aft seems silly
Kim Possible characters as Trek characters. Drakken as a Cardassian makes sense, Kim as a Bajoran not so much...
Maybe superlong ships work in Star Wars, not so much in Trek.

Caracatured versions of TOS characters. The only one that REALLY doesn't work is Chekov, that guy could be Kevin Riley for all I know...
The Cat and the Shat. A cute Dr. Seuss parody, and just about the only time you'll see Star Trek crossed with Calvin and Hobbes.
I don't think I've ever seen Tholian ships this close up. It's also an interesting notion to make the nacelle panels look like the Voyager warp coil (even if I never liked the swirly warp core, how could bioneural technology improve a warp core?)

What if TOS was an episode of The Twilight Zone? Giving the 1701 more of a pulp scifi design is also an interesting choice...

Turning Ro and Yar into comic book art. It's interesting to see Ro in the opened jacket from her origin episode, but I'm pretty sure her undershirt didn't look like that

Old 04-22-2022, 01:29 AM

One of the ugliest fan starship designs I've ever seen

Fan-made shuttle concepts. You'll note how much the fourth design looks like a STTMP shuttle.

A rather nice painting of Picard and his "Make it so" gesture. Even if Picard hasn't shaved for a few days...

A nice ink sketch of the TNG crew.

Oil painting of the 1701

You don't see much fanart of the 1701-B, do you?

Someone deaged Janeway and put her in a Monster Maroon.

TAS Kirk in a Discovery uniform. Still not a fan of that design, even after you remove the insult to canon

Marionette Data surrounded by his personal props. Nice use of the Tasha minihologram there...

A rather nice Trek/Seuss crossover, even if it does use that hideous green wraparound tunic...

What if they revamped the Excelsior in Kelvinverse style?

A rather nice tableau of Ten Forward, even if Beverly looks a bit too mangaish...

Old 04-23-2022, 02:46 AM

What if Bach wrote the music for Super Mario Brothers?

String Player Gamer gives the music a classical feel by only playing it with violin and harp.

Watch if only for the combination of a silly powdered wig and a silly fake mustache.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:17 AM

And we're back to DeviantArt...

Another take on a Discovery-style 1701. My biggest problem is how thin the saucer section looks...
A rather nice painting of Uhura. You can find Scotty, Bones, and Spock below it.
Calling the Constitution-class refit the "Enterprise class" seems to have lived and died between STTMP and TWOK. It's not often done in fan work, but here you are.

Defiant flying over Lakota. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they made the Defiant too small. WAY too small.
A rather nice image of the D'deridex class. Even if the head seems a little twisted compared to the body...
A fan rendering of the Great Bird of the Galaxy
Now here's something I've never seen before: a hijab incorporated into the Starfleet uniform.

What if TOS was a movie, and that movie had a poster?

An unofficial T-Shirt design from the eighties. What if the TNG crew had Leifeldesque muscular physiques and stood around flexing?
A painting of Neelix
Ink sketch of the refit 1701. Sometimes black and white art can really pop, can't it?

Manga-style Wesley Crusher
Painting of Mirror Spock

Old 04-24-2022, 03:36 PM

You know the pattern by now...

A dramatic rendering of the Battle of the Mutara Nebula
An interesting variant on the Daedalus class
The five captains
A nice sketch of Bones
A nice sketch of Saavik
Caricatures of the DS9 cast. Everyone's pretty good except for O'Brien.
This is a weird one. Creating a brand-new starship design based on Kim Possible.
A nice TOS Andorian cosplay
TNG cast in TAS style
What if Khan was a character from My Little Pony?
Kirk looking quite diabolical
The TOS Big Seven
Mirror Spock
Senator Vreenak looking quite pleasant
Romulan Commander Keras
Putting Hayley Atwell in Starfleet uniforms seems to be a thing...
A nice drawing of the crew from "The Cage". They even got the proto-Spock makeup right!
Very nice sketch of the TWOK cast
It's nice to see that people are still making "Nighthawks" parodies...
Of course Rule 34 exists in everything, but there are just certain things that you can't make sexy, and the TOS spacesuits are one of them

Old 04-25-2022, 02:11 PM

A nice drawing of Kirk
Bones in a blue version of that ugly leather-yoke uniform jacket that Picard wore sometimes. That stupid leather-yoke is Picard's version of Kirk's green wraparound.
Mirror Spock seems to be a popular subject for fanart...
You don't often see colored pencil fanart, but this one of the 1701 is quite good
Kamala
Picard looking quite pleasant
Of course someone would put Zooey Deschanel in a TOS uniform...
I've never heard Bones' early STTMP look called the "disco mountain man" before, but it fits...
I didn't know that Kelvinverse Carol Marcus had so much fanart, but I suppose EVERYTHING in Trek has fanart...
Now here's an interesting idea: combining TOS movie and Kelvinverse design elements with one of the TOS kitbash ships. (Meaningless aside, I enjoy some of the TOS kitbashes, but I hate all single-nacelle designs)
The TOS Big Seven in the grey yoke TNG/DS9 uniforms. My big problem is that some of them are wearing the wrong color undershirts.
Coloring the Monster Maroons to match the original TOS uniform colors.

The Enterprise flying out of a Supergate

Apparently combining Chibi Ezri and Chibi Kes results in "Cute Overload!"
Manga-style Tasha wearing her "Naked Now" outfit
A movie poster for City on the Edge of Forever
A painting of Picard
Picard, Riker, and Data in Monster Maroons

Old 04-25-2022, 02:45 PM

A fan edit of various Voyager episodes where Janeway decides to use the spore drive to get home.

I only have a cursory knowledge of Discovery, but don't you need someone from a particular race to use the spore drive? Plus, y'know, spores?

Old 04-26-2022, 03:51 PM

A bust of Sulu
Someone tweaked the TOS Romulan Bird of Prey to TOS movie standards, including green nacelles.
There are a lot of ugly fan-created starship classes out there, and I ignore most of them, but this one takes the cake. It must be seen to be believed.
The Magellanic Class, an intermediate step between the Ambassador and the Galaxy. This one is quite nice.

An animated Picard. That face reminds me of someone other than Stewart, but I can't think of who...
Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon characters in Romulan uniforms
Someone repainted the Constitution refit with Mirror Universe colors. And added another photon torpedo launcher to the belly of the stardrive, for some reason...

Old 04-27-2022, 04:44 AM

apparently a friend is doing a charity stream with chelsea manning?

keffals

🌲link🌲tree🌲
Old 05-02-2022, 04:58 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agok_TVaDms

The Pizza Head commercials from the '90s, brought to you by Steve.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-02-2022, 08:22 AM

Will Quinn did my Ko-fi request of bunnies doodling on r/place!

Daily bunny no.1743 is making art together

🌲link🌲tree🌲
Old 05-07-2022, 02:18 AM

A Reddit post featuring a painful Star Trek pun.

If I have to groan at this one, you do too.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:47 PM

Apple discontinuing all iPods, even the iPod Touch

This saddens me. I still have a second-gen iPod Nano kicking around even if I don't use it (and it has MANY dead pixels). I still have an iPhone and old iPad around, but the era of the standalone music player will always be with me.

I am surprised that even the iTouch is discontinued.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:22 PM

a friend's marvel collection:

Incredible - Vintage - Marvel Comics - Memorabilia Collection Tour - 1960's, 1970's + 1980's!

🌲link🌲tree🌲
Old 05-14-2022, 02:39 PM

As an alternative to a Star Trek Deviantart Day, here's a Star Trek Pinterest Day!

'70s-style "pop art" poster of TOS.

Tweaking Pixar characters into TOS characters. Seeing Anton Ego as a Romulan is something I never knew I needed.
Painting of Kirk in that awful Where No Man Has Gone Before uniform
I'm not sure what art genre this sketch of Spock fits into. Impressionist?
What if someone turned Kirk vs Gorn into a kids book?
Spock as Frankenstein's Monster. Or is it the other way around?

Salt Vampire action figure
Kirk in a James Bond poster pastiche
If you're going to put Marilyn Monroe in a TNG uniform, why wouldn't it be Troi's and not Data's?
TOS woman as one of those WWII pinups that pilots painted on their planes
Statue of Troi in her S1 "cosmic cheerleader" outfit.

TAS McCoy dressed like the Tenth Doctor, and vice-versa. Is it just me, or does Ten's hair look like an anime character?