The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default September 1

As promised, here's Part 3 of the eTrektion saga is here: TJI #43, "New candidates enter eTrektion race." The candidate profiles will begin when I get back from Waterloo; Kira will keep you plenty busy till then. By the way, for the record, the eTrektion isn't happening in real time, because it's obviously going to run into the real ENT Season 4. Think of it as an Elseworlds tale, or a Hypertime story, or a What If? issue. Or, if you can't handle the joy that is comics, an alternate timeline. Wimp.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 AM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

lol very funny. I do have a question... are we separate candidates or are you going to make us teams? Cause Lexy and I are a team, we're Sexy. We're running for Co-Exec Producers. I'm asking this because you mentioned profiles and I was wondering if ya'll were profiling us as teams or as separate beings. Does this make any sense to anyone at all?

I'm too lazy to post quotes right now, but I'm sure someone will quote from it and use the one I wanted to use. It was a great article and I'm looking forward to more! I especially loved the weeding process. Very unique.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Outside looking in

This eTrektion thing just rules. I don't know if I've ever had so much fun reading TJI.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
After a week which to many eager observers has felt more like two weeks
:lol:

Quote:
We got 32,000 applications the first day. Paramount told me I needed to weed them down a bit, so I told anyone who was afraid to go home. That left ten thousand. Next, I brought them to the river to drink...
BWAHAHAHAA!

Quote:
We at This Just In, while our policy is to refrain from endorsing one candidate over another, would like to remind the reader of "Music," "Don't Tell Me to Stop," and, deity of your choice help us, her cover of "American Pie," as well as her known associations with such dubious figures as Mike Myers, Britney Spears, and Madonna.
Absolutely! Oh-yew-tee for her! :twisted:

Quote:
Her response, 15 solid minutes of non-stop laughter, was too long to be reproduced here.
Heheheheh.

Quote:
This notice -- OR WILL IT?
*giggles*

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 09-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
OR WILL IT?

Perhaps not....

OR WILL IT?
He actually does talk like this.

Is there something to the parable of the river that I should be getting?

Brilliant in all respects.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:18 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Awesome!

Quote:
After a week which to many eager observers has felt more like two weeks,
Quote:
Reports that the Sony corporation was engineering a small robot to run in the eTrektion could not be confirmed at press time. Another small candidate, cartoon dog Dogbert, told this reporter that "Yes. That's what I'm doing. Running for executive producer of Star Trek. No secret plans here. Not a one."
Quote:
Surprisingly for longtime readers of This Just In, Five-Minute Voyager webmaster Zeke appears to have no interest in running, or taking any other part in this storyline.
Besides Writing it, of course.

Quote:
Readers will have the chance to learn more about these candidates in This Just In's upcoming series of Candidate Profiles, available soon for only $2.50 Canadian ($700 US) at a cigar store near you.
Quote:
OR WILL IT?

Perhaps not....

OR WILL IT?

This notice -- OR WILL IT?
Who's Mark Mazzone?

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroc
Who's Mark Mazzone?
Actually, he was the first real person to enter the race -- he contacted me by email before Asky started the ball rolling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Is there something to the parable of the river that I should be getting?
"Parable" is an apt description -- the whole thing is lifted from the Old Testament book of Judges. God sent Gideon to defeat the Midians, and to make sure everyone knew it was God's favour that granted them the victory, he instructed Gideon to winnow his forces to the bare minimum as described here. Gideon was one of the Judges of Israel, hence "J. Gideon." (Judges were what Israel had before they asked God to choose a king for them, on the grounds that all the other countries got to have kings. The first Judge is one you're more likely to have heard of -- Samson.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab
I do have a question... are we separate candidates or are you going to make us teams?
Oh, don't worry, your teams are intact -- I just didn't have my candidate file at school with me and was too busy to dig through the thread, so I listed you individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
This eTrektion thing just rules. I don't know if I've ever had so much fun reading TJI.
Delighted to hear it. I'm having a ball too... and believe me, the best is yet to come.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

I can't get to irc.lionsanctuary.net! How do I get there? It doesnt seem to be working! :?
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 09-02-2004, 05:08 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Reports that the Sony corporation was engineering a small robot to run in the eTrektion could not be confirmed at press time.
Heh heh heh. :twisted:

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 AM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Quote:
After a week which to many eager observers has felt more like two weeks
:wink:

Quote:
We didn't want to exclude anyone who might make a good EP. For example, Matchbox Twenty made a good EP recently. Okay, it wasn't that good.
:lol:

Quote:
...as well as her known associations with such dubious figures as Mike Myers, Britney Spears, and Madonna.
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Quote:
Readers will have the chance to learn more about these candidates in This Just In's upcoming series of Candidate Profiles, available soon for only $2.50 Canadian ($700 US) at a cigar store near you.
:lol: That's one poor exchange rate :wink: Hmmm, a profile on me huh? :shifty eyes: I didn't do it...it was, er, the other fella :mrgreen: :wink:
Old 09-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

Quote:
Actually, he was the first real person to enter the race -- he contacted me by email before Asky started the ball rolling here.
*coughcoughcough*
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 09-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Great TJI, Zeke! "A sword for the Borg and Gideon!"

So have B&B already been ousted? Who's EP while we're voting? Would it be fitting to say that in these days Trek had no Executive Producer; everyone did as he saw fit?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:57 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
The other officers were starting to take a greater interest in Star Wars, and finally they decided to rename the club 'Commanders of the Sith Fleet.' I was rather attached to that X, so I ended up an X-president.
this left me in a fit of giggles. I'm really looking forward to how the saga plays out. :mrgreen:
Old 09-02-2004, 12:37 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Mwahahahah.

[Mr Burns]Excellent...[/Burns]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Would it be fitting to say that in these days Trek had no Executive Producer; everyone did as he saw fit?
I'm embarrassed to say I had to look that up. But yes, that's exactly the situation: everyone fitting as he sees done. Wait.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroc
Who's Mark Mazzone?
We need to get him on the forums then! :twisted:
(Wait, how did that smiley get there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standback
Very nice, Zeke! Can't wait to see the next ones!

Can I run for Executive Producer too? Huh? Can I? Can I, can I please? Pleeeeeeease?

You're going to say no, aren't you?
Then you should post something in the Run for Executive Producer thread in 5MV Talk!

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

Yeah, I should...
But I'm not gonna. I saw the thread open and it's wonderful, and I'm looking forward to actually be able to read it... but I've just got no time, no time, no time. My participation in the 5MV forums has dropped substantially, beginning at finals - but surprisingly (to me), stayed low all summer vacation long. I've managed to keep myself busy with a whole lot of things, like hopping back and forth between home (Ra'anana) and Jerusalem (where I study and have lotsandlotsandlots of friends), and organizing my very own convention (Paranoia is fun. Other games are not fun. The Computer says so. Play Paranoia).

With everything that's going on, I haven't found the free time to fully dive back into the usual precious nonsense on these forums... and now's not that time either, I'm afraid. Still busy.

In point of fact, some here will be interested to know... a week from monday, I start basic training in the Israeli Defense Force. It's actually not too big of a deal - it's less than 4 weeks long, and it'll be with a whole bunch of fellow Academic Reserves geeks like me, and after that it's back to second year Math and CompSci. But army's a major part of Israeli life, and this'll be my first real taste of it, so... that's kinda major. Plus, I have to get my hair cut.

In conclusion... thanks, but real life (or some facsimile thereof)'s still got me.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 AM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

Zeke: thanks for answering my question. And have a good trip!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Transformed Man

On second thought, I read the actual thread, and this is waaaaay to good to miss out on. So what the heck.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Outside looking in

*shifty eyes* Well, so far we have 3 people NOT running. I hope you all realize there will only be 3 voters at this rate! :P